Joseph & Henry Wilson Snuff Mills

thekrel

My sister worked there during the war, Jean Kay for 2 or 3 years. A pal of mine said he was invited up there, we lived on Priory terrace, and told me there was a room with medals hung on the picture rail, is that true.

I don't recall any medals, lots of other antiques but definitely no medals....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - my first post on here (oh no, I have signed up for ANOTHER forum - Steam engines, Model Aircraft, Ginger Beer making, Allotments, VW Campers, the list goes on...)

Originally from Bents Green (Thryft House Farm) - Left there in 68 aged 12, Now in Chester (last 40 years) - Still LOVE Sheffield and come back often.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wilson's snuff

I used to go Fox Hunting with the Barlow Hunt, being just kids we just rode well behind on ponies. However, Mrs Wilson was a keen supporter, I think she was something to do with the Hunt (patron or similar). She used to ride a large black hunter, side-saddle (!) with the full regalia, including a black veil, a VERY impressive sight as she sailed over 6ft hedges in pursuit. All this at a ripe old age too !

I still buy Wilson's No1 Top Mill snuff, though a tin will last me a year !!

Edited by ghost123uk

Hi Zenazee. I worked at Top Mill in the offices around the mid 1960s. Carl was the office manager. I can remember all the faces of my fellow work mates but not all the names (getting older, I guess) I remember Wendy, Christine, Diane, Margaret and Joy the junior or was it Gay. Any of these ring bells with you?

Grannypat

Hi Zenazee. I worked at Top Mill in the offices around the mid 1960s. Carl was the office manager. I can remember all the faces of my fellow work mates but not all the names (getting older, I guess) I remember Wendy, Christine, Diane, Margaret and Joy the junior or was it Gay. Any of these ring bells with you?

Grannypat

Hi

Carl was the manager when I was there too, although he left well before I did...I saw him last year actually, he's still in the S11 area!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Zenazee & Twitcher,

I think we must know each other. Obviously my name is Pat. Btw I think Diane's name was Ramsden. I have lost touch with everyone from back then, sorry to say. (Do you remember Carl's sport's car?) He loved that car, didn't he. He gave me a lift to the bottom of Cemetery Road once and that car was a beggar to get out of when you were wearing high heeled shoes and a pencil skirt. I think it caused a lot of laughter amongst the customers in the Co-op cafe.

Grannypat

hi grannypat yes that is the Diane i remember she wasn't married whilst i was there but was courting her husband to be can't remember his first name but he was an old neighbour of mine.was Carl the mill manager because my manager was Mr Bewsey in the office bit vague about it was 40 odd years ago I recently retired but did work as home help and last year visited a lady that lives in the flats at the side of the office block her window overlooked the gardens at the back of the mill we used to sit out there sometimes weather permitting i had forgotten about them

Carl was the office manager when I was there, From 1978 - closure in 1989, Carl left before I did though and Ron took over then, I think this was after the time you were there Pat and Diane. Carl had a VW beetle and also a citroen before that, we once tied balloons and cans to Carls VW for some reason I can't remember now! Mr Bewsey was before Carl.

Alan Bamber was the mill manager and Reg Harrison the director.Sadly both of these are no longer with us :sad:

Hi Zanazee & Twitcher,

I do remember Mr Bewsey. He was a very nice man.I have been trying to remember when I was there and it must have been early 1968 to 1970 (ish) Seemed a lot longer when I look back but it can't have been. Do either of you know anything about Diane. I would love to be able to get in touch with her. I remember she had a little house down the little lane which goes behind the Porter Cottage pub and her mum lived a couple of doors away. I can't remember the name of her husband. It's like platting fog trying to remember details from so long ago, isn't it?

Thank you both for your replies.

Grannypat