90's Pirate Radio Stations

Scratch22

• 2 years later...

[Zombie Thread]

I think we need some sort of pirate setup once again, all the radio stations play the same music over and over again. The music people actually want to listen to is being ignored.

I don't mean just the rave stuff like back in the day, but a good variate of alternative music.

I met Easy D a few times when I worked in the clubs.. He was a lovley lad.. very cheeky.. lol Anybody know how he is and what hes doing these days

to al the ppl reminicing about the good ol' days of pirate radio and easy d and rush, you will be glad to hear that darren (easy d) and his brother marco hold a night called re-u-nitez playing all the old school tunes from back in the days of cj's, ppl choice, palais, limit etc every 2nd weekend, usually at the redrooms and they also line up live pa's-last one to play was rozalla with everybodys free...so get ya glad rags on and pop down for a nite of pure old skool riddims..peace

• 3 months later...

Been interested in this for a while. Theres no decent radio in Sheffield (Apart from 1 or 2 shows on Sheffield Live). Would be great havin a pirate playin decent music. I think the reason they have all but stopped now is because of the whole internet radio thing. Its now free, easy to set up and legal so people just generally don't bother. Its annoying because I basically only listen to music from the early 90s (Jungle &Hardcore mainly) but I was born in 91 so I missed all the good music and all the pirates!!

p.s. Nowadays wouldn't there be some sort of restriction on who can buy FM broadcasting equipment? Plus even if there wasn't where would you go about getting it? Surely there aren't any sort of shops about?

(Oh yeh I know this thread is stupidly old).

Edited by analogue

Yes but I cant remember the name, they got busted for blanking out the emergency sevices. it had somthing to do with the guys who used to run area 51 records on the gallery.. if the name comes to me...was it rise fm?

I went on Pitch FM for a bit that might be the one you mean. Jackmaster Jay used to run Area 39 Recs on the gallery. It was a laugh, the flat had graffiti on the walls spliff ends and empty cans everywhere. Used to be good tho when people phoned in for requests or shout outs n stuff.

Yes but I cant remember the name, they got busted for blanking out the emergency sevices. it had somthing to do with the guys who used to run area 51 records on the gallery.. if the name comes to me...was it rise fm?

And there goes the reason that illegal radio transmitters are such. :)

I have to admit using illegal CB many years ago so I'm not blame free but it's still wrong.

I miss those pirate radio station's from the 90's. As a massive house, trance, hardcore fan the music was great. On another note I drove down Brocco Bank towards Hunters bar yesterday afternoon at about 1700 hrs. I had Radio 1 playing in the car on 99.5 fm and about halfway down the road the signal was interupted by some other music. I thought it might by someone's iPod fm transmitter in a car nearby so I just retuned the car radio. It reminded me of the pirate radio days.

Never saw this old thread. I grew up listening to SCR. Used to be quite professionally run and was great in the early 90's with all the WARP stuff - Asterix and Space. And even before that with Funkmaster General (Winston Hazel) and DJ Mink.

I think what happened was, as music scenes evolved it got fragmented and some of the people involved in SCR, which subsequently concentrated more on Reggae, Soul and Hip Hop, set up Fantasy FM for all the house, techno, hardcore and jungle then some other people started the similar Hardcore FM. SCR also had competition in the Reggae/Soul market with Mighty FM and later Fresh FM. It was ace before Classic FM came along - with Mighty FM on 100.7, Hardcore FM on 101.1, SCR on 101.5 and Fantasy FM on 101.9. All spaced out 0.4 Mhz and all responsibly run.

There were others in later years, such as Pitch FM, Joy FM, Foulmouth FM but the best and shortest lived was Groove FM, which eventually ran as a licensed station for a 28 day RSL. That was really well presented and had ace flyers designed by The Designers Republic.

Anyway, it seems to have gone unnoticed that pirate radio has made a comeback in Sheffield recently, with Bounce FM on 88.0. I think this station was on a few years ago but hadn't been heard for a while.

Many of the leftfield musical styles that the heyday pirates provided are now thankfully given airtime legally by Sheffield Live! 93.2 but those days in the 90's were in great.

Never saw this old thread. I grew up listening to SCR. Used to be quite professionally run and was great in the early 90's with all the WARP stuff - Asterix and Space.

:hihi: asterix and space can remember them along with easy d and rythm and reality,can't think what esay d's mc was called but this has been a good thread made me think back to when i was about 14!! can even remember carl cox playing on there aswell!!

Edited by animal2477

asterix and space can remember them along with easy d and rythm and reality,can't think what esay d's mc was called

MC Rush!!

Yeah Rhythm & Reality's AM Time show was great. I've got loads of old tapes of SCR, Fantasy FM etc at my parents house. Must dig them out sometime.