90's Pirate Radio Stations

Scratch22

Originally posted by Nathen

I'm trying to remember what Pirate radio's were going in the 90's and some of the names of the DJ's, but all I can come up with is

Fantasy and SCR (Sheffield Community Radio) with DJ Easy E.

Anyone else help?

Good post from you Nathen.....I remember when Sheffield Community Radio started broadcasting in 1987. A lot of pirate radio stations used to transmit from Norfolk Park and site their aerials on top of the tower blocks, using a half wave dipoles, facing across the city. Unfortunately Sheffield Community Radio’s transmitter was set up by a right cowboy, because it used to chuck “sproggies” out right across the VHF bands causing interference to the emergency services.

• 1 month later...

SCR and Fantasy FM 101.9 were awesome. I am originally from the other side of Doncaster and one day, when in Rotherham I managed to tune my dads car radio into SCR. Later that day I was up on the roof of my mum and dads house with a car ariel and a wire to my bedroom window. I could pick up SCR and Fantasy FM from over 30 miles from Sheffield !!!!. I used to love it. It was such new music to me. The names I remember were 'Wisdom and Merlin' and 'Face'. I have a few crackly tapes as well from early 90s. Mainly the more piano type stuff. I loved the adverts as well.

Superb.

If anyone wants a copy of my tapes let me know and I will try and get them put up online somewhere.

:)

Originally posted by Damon

Astrix and Space?

I think one of them was Chris Duckenfield who went on to record under various tech and deep house guises such as RAC and Swag. Still DJs I think.

Chris is a friend of a friend (I don't know him personally), but by all accounts he's still recording - had an album out not so long back, and he's very sucessful (Dj-ing) in America and elsewhere abroad.

I had mates that played on a few of the pirates, and in had a few slots myself - I remember some of the shady studio setups. Schizophrenic guy who lived in one of the flats, would spend the whole show coming in shouting for less noise, so we would turn the sounds down, then five minutes later he would be back in demanding to know why we were all so quite......Being held up for our records in Pitsmoor, then having them returned after they realised we were on SCR.....Underground Fm, in the cellar of a record shop, playing away, unaware cops were questioning mates above my head..... getting electric shocks every time i used the mixer...

• 1 month later...

From what i gather they destroy your transmitter, and if are feeling particularly evil confiscate your sound system.

I know someone who used to run one from the now blown up tower blocks in Norfolk Park. They got raided once or twice and all that happened is they threw the transmitter out the window!! So off air till you went down Radio Shack and got a new one.

Apprently it isnt hard to track the source of radio signal (by triangulation) but the coppers dont bother unless a) someone complains or b) you're interfering with the emergency services wavelengths, as they usually have better things to do.

I remember Fantasy FM an all. Nice bit of DnB as i recall.

Now that I'm getting all nostalgic....

Foulmouth FM, Dance FM, Fantasy FM, SCR..anyone remember any more???

Originally posted by Saifa

Apprently it isnt hard to track the source of radio signal (by triangulation) but the coppers dont bother unless a) someone complains or b) you're interfering with the emergency services wavelengths, as they usually have better things to do.

It's the Radio Authority who track folks down - they'll involve the police to make arrests and such but the RA Officers do have Statutory Rights of Entry.

In principle if an unlicensed transmission affects any licensed operation then they can be called in to track them down.

Given some of the crap signals generated by pirates I'm not surprised they get reported. :) Level control was obviously never explained to most wannabe DJs.

BTW, I believe that under the Wireless Telegraphy Act it's still an offence to publicise Pirate stations..... :)

Joe