90's Pirate Radio Stations

Scratch22

Originally posted by Saifa

While we're on pirate radio...

anyone know what became of sheffield community radio (SCR) that used to broadcast in the 1990s? That was a top station.

I think it was a 'term time' student project.....

Originally posted by Draggletail

I think it was a 'term time' student project.....

NO... If my memories of the time are correct the transmitter and stuff was sold to the guys who ran fantasy, which in turn became hardcore fm for a while and then became joy fm.. dont know what the guy who ran joy did with it though

Originally posted by honeyplanet

NO... If my memories of the time are correct the transmitter and stuff was sold to the guys who ran fantasy, which in turn became hardcore fm for a while and then became joy fm.. dont know what the guy who ran joy did with it though

Yeh, you're right right. My memory :blush: The student project was Forge FM....?

SCR Radio = house/ techno in the days of Warp Records, LFO Tricky Disco?

(Probably mis remembered those names, too. I was 'there' but it was not my 'best' time) :D

Now that my memory is kick started - wasn't there a second Sheffield pirate station? Seem to remember there was two, one got closed down quick, the other survived (ish)

Wasn't one of them broadcast from Burngreave/Pitsmoor?

Sorry, I ramble. Beer. Hic

Yes but I cant remember the name, they got busted for blanking out the emergency sevices. it had somthing to do with the guys who used to run area 51 records on the gallery.. if the name comes to me...was it rise fm?

The two stations were up against each other for a while. It was about the time occasions had the happy hardcore night around 94/95. there was a lot of bad feeling between the two...

God SCR - that brings back some memories - i think i have a tape somewhere still with it on playing a house mix of Beethoven's 5th symphony.

True back in the day bleep classics used to listen all the time.

I know the guy who ran a pirate out of Rotherham area called Ocean Sound back in late 80's but that was more of a "commercially" sounding station.

Mind you he didnt do too badly out if it, now works on two of Germany's biggest radio stations.

Originally posted by JoeP

BTW, I believe that under the Wireless Telegraphy Act it's still an offence to publicise Pirate stations..... :)

That's Correct Joe, Ofcom took over duties performed by the RA in 2003, '03 stats are available here

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/enforcement/pstats/prosecution_stats#content

As far as I know police provide entry to a site suspected of emmitting radio transmissions which interefere with registered users ie ambulance/fire/prison and Ofcom field enforcement actually sieze the kit. I wonder how arsed police are about enforcing this now they have migrated to the tetra system? :)

in london, generally the way they get away with it, is in one of two ways.

firstly, broadcast away from the TX, using a wireless networking setup (TX on top of flats, broadcast "centre" elsewhere)

or some employ/use "doormen" at the bottom of the flats, who simply phone upstairs on sight of the DTI, giving enough warning to stash the stuff in neighbouring flats etc.

a good site showing the pros and cons of it all is that of Dimension FM, a Telford pirate station which broadcast for 4 years...

http://www.dfmpromotions.com/radio/

generally, your pretty safe unless you decide to broadcast to Sheffield on 97.5 . Not a good idea ;)

Originally posted by Saifa

While we're on pirate radio...

anyone know what became of sheffield community radio (SCR) that used to broadcast in the 1990s? That was a top station.

Where have all the decent pirates gone?

I’ve posted about SCR before on another thread. SCR used to remote broadcast from Norfolk Parks flats (as did other pirate stations). The SCR transmitter was naff and used to interfere with a large put of the VHF spectrum including the emergency services.

Check thissite...you may find it interesting.

http://www.laughingpoliceman.com/pirate.htm