Stones Bitter still popular?

I thought the abv of Stones was always around 3.8% - pretty sure it was in the late '70's when I used to sup it in the Hanover - about the only place you could get it on handpump then.

I'll see if I've still got an old copy of the good beer guide.

Everything was weaker in the 70's!

Here's the entry from the 1992 Good Beer Guide (the nearest to come to hand from a few years ago):

Stones Best Bitter

(OG 1038, ABV 4.1%) - A golden/straw coloured beer with malt, hop and fruit aromas. On the tongue, there is a delicate malt, with a refreshing, bitter hoppiness. The strong hop and malt finish leaves a clean glow. Tends to be served too green, but on the whole it is an underrated cask brand.

Believe me, that's no accurate description of the sludge which masquerades as Stones now. In fact though, I was always under the impression that Stones was a touch stronger than 4%-ish in days of yore?

Stones best bitter my grandfather always used to say it was called fighting beer or as he put it feyting beer. lol

It was often nicknamed "jungle juice".

It was a touch stronger than Tetleys and Wards but not so much you'd notice in an average session - not in my time anyway.

Do you still see wards bitter for sale?, i know its brewed under contract by Robinsons but never tried it myself!

It's available in the Carlton Anti-Social Club (among many other outlets, no doubt!), and again, it's foul. I absolutely loved Ward's when it was still brewed 'at home', but it can't be recreated elsewhere. Different water and all that.

I've tried it, and instead of the intensely malty flavour we used to have, it just tastes of sulphur to me now.

Archived