Stones Bitter still popular?

Stones best bitter my grandfather always used to say it was called fighting beer or as he put it feyting beer. lol

I always remember Stones's being called a "chemical beer" back in the 60s and 70s and 80s. My step-father used to sup gallons of the stuff and he always had a "dickey" tummy - when he switched beers it cleared up.

When I first started supping bitter, in the mid-sixties, I could hardly stomach the taste of it so I drank Stones's 'cos it was pretty tasteless - much as young-uns sup pi$$y lager today - it was sometimes referred to then as "a lad's beer".

When I first started supping bitter, in the mid-sixties, I could hardly stomach the taste of it so I drank Stones's 'cos it was pretty tasteless - much as young-uns sup pi$$y lager today - it was sometimes referred to then as "a lad's beer".

That's pretty much the light I view Stones in now.

Even in cans, in the offy it's normally chilled, and drunk that way it's just "fizzy water" like lager.

And no, I'm not being "snobbish", I enjoy lagers, ales, wheat beers, stouts etc etc. I just don't see the point of a "bitter" that seems to be "best served chilled"

Do many people still drink stones bitter in sheffield? i only see it in keg form and have hardly seen it on hand pull (as a real ale).

It looks like I'm the only one on here who is happy about it's demise. I recall it having a particularly adverse effect upon my digestive system... regularly:hihi:

I used to love a pint of Stones. Since I stopped going to pubs I have had to enjoy the odd can or two from supermarkets. However, last month I went to a birthday do at Darnall Liberal Club and when I saw Stones on draught I thought, 'GERONIMO!! the good times have returned'. Boy was I wrong. :gag: It was the foulest tasting beer(?) I had ever sampled. I swear it was plumbed in direct from the gents' urinals. It was absolutely disgusting. The head was 'fizzy' as in cola and lasted as long as it took to get back to my table. Where's the old creamy head gone? The taste was of rusty radiator water .... if a smell can represent a taste that is.

I am now ruined for life.:(

It's brewed in Burton now as far as I know, is still available in cask form, and is utterly dreadful.

It went downhill fast when they dropped the ABV from 4.1% to 3.8% (to start with, I think), and then it became even weaker after the Cannon Brewery closed.

A good pint of Stones 15 years ago, even 10 maybe, was a decent beer. I'd sooner go without nowadays than drink that tasteless muck.

Its now manufactured (not brewed) by Coors in Burton in one of their giant beer factories I believe its also made in Tadcaster by John Smiths (another Coors arm), wherever its made now its a poor copy of the original. It was my preferred tipple for 20 years or more but when they closed the Sheffield breweries it went downhill fast and has never recovered. if I see it on a bar now I look further along to see what else is available. To be honest I can thing of lagers that I'd rather drink than the insipid, sour muck that comes out of the Stones pump these days.

Archived