Stones Bitter still popular?

I used to love a pint of Stones. Since I stopped going to pubs I have had to enjoy the odd can or two from supermarkets. However, last month I went to a birthday do at Darnall Liberal Club and when I saw Stones on draught I thought, 'GERONIMO!! the good times have returned'. Boy was I wrong. :gag: It was the foulest tasting beer(?) I had ever sampled. I swear it was plumbed in direct from the gents' urinals. It was absolutely disgusting. The head was 'fizzy' as in cola and lasted as long as it took to get back to my table. Where's the old creamy head gone? The taste was of rusty radiator water .... if a smell can represent a taste that is.

I am now ruined for life.:(

Depends how like all beers its kept. wheel at mossbrough old fasioned pub just like back to the 70's when stones was popular.

Depends how like all beers its kept. wheel at mossbrough old fasioned pub just like back to the 70's when stones was popular.

Sorry mate, can't agree. It's made to a different recipe with different water in a different location. It's absolutely nothing like the Stones of about ten years ago, let alone twenty or thirty.

Sorry mate, can't agree. It's made to a different recipe with different water in a different location. It's absolutely nothing like the Stones of about ten years ago, let alone twenty or thirty.

It is rather like the people who make Jaffa Cakes one day deciding to sell the brand name to someone else. But the new company makes some cheap crappy orange buiscuits and just put them in the Jaffa Cake packets.:gag:

It only fools the people who accept mediocrity. :suspect:

• 2 years later...
Can you still buy Stones bitter in the shops? looking at getting some in for Christmas but checked the usual supermarkets, and i cant find it anywhere.

Checked online and its 24 quid for a case!!!

Rhythm and Booze sell cans of Stones bitter at £19.99 for a case.

Can you still buy Stones bitter in the shops? looking at getting some in for Christmas but checked the usual supermarkets, and i cant find it anywhere.

Checked online and its 24 quid for a case!!!

Bloody hell you could buy beer for that price.

I thought the abv of Stones was always around 3.8% - pretty sure it was in the late '70's when I used to sup it in the Hanover - about the only place you could get it on handpump then.

I'll see if I've still got an old copy of the good beer guide.

The Hanover was quite a place and the beer excellent.Broomhall was ungentrified at the time and quite atmospheric,almost sinister in parts to the newcomer.

It's always struck me as being a bit odd.The free market has always banged on about

offering the consumer choice,yet in reality it closes no end of breweries producing what

to many people were quality ales and starts brewing substanded rubbish under the same

name in Burton and Edinburgh.

It is a free market for the seller who does what he wants by rigging the rules-the drinker is only free to abstain!

I used to love a pint of Stones. Since I stopped going to pubs I have had to enjoy the odd can or two from supermarkets. However, last month I went to a birthday do at Darnall Liberal Club and when I saw Stones on draught I thought, 'GERONIMO!! the good times have returned'. Boy was I wrong. :gag: It was the foulest tasting beer(?) I had ever sampled. I swear it was plumbed in direct from the gents' urinals. It was absolutely disgusting. The head was 'fizzy' as in cola and lasted as long as it took to get back to my table. Where's the old creamy head gone? The taste was of rusty radiator water .... if a smell can represent a taste that is.

I am now ruined for life.:(

Keg Stones is vile stuff. Haven't had it on cask in some time and even then it was in very poor nick.

Happily there is plenty of much better beer being brewed in Sheffield these days.

Asda, £3.49 for four cans or a tenner for a box of twelve. I've grown a taste for it after a few drinking sessions in Woodhouse where there's no decent bitters on offer.

Archived