Sweet Fish in the Rag & Tag.

John D.

Does anyone remember the "spice stall in the original rag & tag which sold wonderful sweets, such as peardrops and mint rock and other assorted delights? In particular I remember they used to sell sweet fish which were a particular favourite. I believe most of what they used to sell are still available though more "hygenically" packed, but unfortunately, not the fish. Does anyone know if they are available anywhere?

pre 1939 my dad would drop off the tram on a friday night with a big bag of i seem to think broke seconds but they still tasted good ,no idea where he got them from:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The fishes tails were broken off , market sold broken biscuits too :)

I am sure you can still get the boiled-sweet fish.

There's a sweet stall just to the right of the clothes stall as you enter the Castle market by the top doors. They still have the traditional jars of sweets, weighed up in 1/4 lbs (well, 100g these days) Try there?

The fish were my favourite, especially the white ones which I think were grape flavoured.

My mother used to "bribe" my sister and I, as tots, with a 1/4 of boiled sweet fish to share, if we'd trek up Shrewsbury Road, to Park Hill, to visit our Gran.

• 4 years later...

Archived