Is this parking ticket fair and legal?

Really old thread but I've just been caught out by this.

It's a sting IMHO, really abusing a unknown law to make money. Shameful.

My angst is that there is no consistency along Langsett road, some of the side streets have double yellows right around the corner, others just this clear way sign.

I've always interpreted this to be a warning sign of approaching a clear way, not being on one in the side street. If the clear way was to be maintained on the side streets for safe viewing around the corner, then the buildings at the end need demolishing.

I was parked for 2 mins when this attendant lept at the van, clearly a known spot by the attendants to keep there targets up.

Shameful SCC

I'm sorry but if you think its an 'Unknown law' you shouldn't be driving. It's in the highway code, and the signs are clearly visible.

Admitting you don't know what the signs mean shows exactly why these traffic wardens are needed.

Edited by beansforyou

Really old thread but I've just been caught out by this.

It's a sting IMHO, really abusing a unknown law to make money. Shameful.

My angst is that there is no consistency along Langsett road, some of the side streets have double yellows right around the corner, others just this clear way sign.

I've always interpreted this to be a warning sign of approaching a clear way, not being on one in the side street. If the clear way was to be maintained on the side streets for safe viewing around the corner, then the buildings at the end need demolishing.

I was parked for 2 mins when this attendant lept at the van, clearly a known spot by the attendants to keep there targets up.

Shameful SCC

Those restrictions have been in place for over 20 years. They are used on many roads in Sheffield and other places around the country, so hardly a "sting".

It's your duty as a driver to understand the signs that are used on the roads and it's not like these are a recent introduction, so you've had plenty of time to check if you weren't sure.

The idea of the restriction being set back into the side roads is to avoid the tram being obstructed by larger vehicles getting stuck by turning into side rods and being blocked by parked or oncoming vehicles. The railways inspectorate (the regulatory authority for railways) insisted that these were introduced here when the super tram system was built, as there had been problems of this nature elsewhere.

Why would you not expect civil enforcement officers to enforce locations where abuse of restrictions is known to happen? The restriction is an instant penalty if you stop in that area, they do not need to observe for loading etc, so they will ticket you as soon as they see you.

The CEO's do not have targets for issuing penalties. It would be illegal.

• 3 months later...

Having read all the above I am surprised no one has mentioned Ash Street?

Turn onto Ash Street and the kerb turns into the pavement making it look obviously a parking space. You do not take up the road parking there.

So you may at best look around for any yellow lines or parking restrictions on the posts but there is none. The only building with a door on Ash street is cleatly uninhabited so the likelihood is you will get out and walk back onto Langsett Road. Looking forward there is only waste ground. But being in what appears to be a deliberate parking space you would not be expected to look for the clearway sign on the big supertram power pillar.

This part of the road being laid out as such to create a set to one side parking space is clearly a mistake on by the City planners.