Is this parking ticket fair and legal?

I just got a ticket this morning for the same thing - aarrggg!

I din't think I was that close to the main rd (that's Middlewood Rd) - I had parked at the bottom of Darwin Rd.

The annoying thing is - on match days it's a nightmare to get a space, I live on that Rd and all the available spaces get taken up by people coming for the match - you move, you lose!

After reading this, I'll be much more careful in future.

I just got a ticket this morning for the same thing - aarrggg!

I din't think I was that close to the main rd (that's Middlewood Rd) - I had parked at the bottom of Darwin Rd.

The annoying thing is - on match days it's a nightmare to get a space, I live on that Rd and all the available spaces get taken up by people coming for the match - you move, you lose!

After reading this, I'll be much more careful in future.

If you parked before the 'Clearway End' sign then its justified.

________

vaporizers

Edited by Bonjon

• 3 years later...

In Sheffield, the way that the council has extended parking restrictions to side roads is confusing to motorists and is not supported by the official Traffic Signs Manual.

Rather than use double yellow lines, the council has assumed that the area of highway between the clearway advance warning signs on side roads and the clearway road itself can also be designated as clearway.

Many motorists do not recognise this, park their car and get a ticket. They then think they have been stupid to misinterpret the signs and cough up the fine. But the problem is really with how the council do their signage.

The manual only allows the council's interpretation where the clearway is a rural clearway and if the road concerned is a slip road, like on a motorway. The problem for the council is that the manual deems rural clearways unsuitable for urban areas and that the joining roads under question are most definitely side roads, not slip roads.

You can read all about this in chapter 3 section 9 of the Traffic Signs Manual. You can google it to access it on line

No kind or combination of clearway: rural, urban or red route allows the extension of clearway parking restrictions to side roads as Sheffield Council has chosen to do.

How do I appeal this if I get a ticket?

You will be given the opportunity to pay the fine at 50% discount. If you wish to appeal, you can do so in writing or by Internet.

If your appeal is turned down, which it usually is, you still get the opportunity to pay the fine at 50% discount.

If you refuse to pay the fine you get the opportunity to go to external adjudication. If you win you pay nothing: if you lose, you pay the full amount of the fine.

If you go to adjudication, you can either do it inwriting or in person.

I got caught in a bus gate, and having researched the matter found the signage woefully lacking. I successfully challenged it at adjudication and the council have since had to correct the signage

Edited by CliffW
expansion

In Sheffield, the way that the council has extended parking restrictions to side roads is confusing to motorists and is not supported by the official Traffic Signs Manual.

Rather than use double yellow lines, the council has assumed that the area of highway between the clearway advance warning signs on side roads and the clearway road itself can also be designated as clearway.

Many motorists do not recognise this, park their car and get a ticket. They then think they have been stupid to misinterpret the signs and cough up the fine. But the problem is really with how the council do their signage.

The manual only allows the council's interpretation where the clearway is a rural clearway and if the road concerned is a slip road, like on a motorway. The problem for the council is that the manual deems rural clearways unsuitable for urban areas and that the joining roads under question are most definitely side roads, not slip roads.

You can read all about this in chapter 3 section 9 of the Traffic Signs Manual. You can google it to access it on line

No kind or combination of clearway: rural, urban or red route allows the extension of clearway parking restrictions to side roads as Sheffield Council has chosen to do.

How do I appeal this if I get a ticket?

You will be given the opportunity to pay the fine at 50% discount. If you wish to appeal, you can do so in writing or by Internet.

If your appeal is turned down, which it usually is, you still get the opportunity to pay the fine at 50% discount.

If you refuse to pay the fine you get the opportunity to go to external adjudication. If you win you pay nothing: if you lose, you pay the full amount of the fine.

If you go to adjudication, you can either do it inwriting or in person.

I got caught in a bus gate, and having researched the matter found the signage woefully lacking. I successfully challenged it at adjudication and the council have since had to correct the signage

Bit late to tell him now as the post is over 3 years old

Bit late to tell him now as the post is over 3 years old

This is an ongoing problem that is still catching people out. Anyone googling Sheffield Clearway will find this thread: you don't need to be looking specifically on the Forum. I hope this will be of help to them.

Edited by CliffW
grammar

But you shouldn't be parking near a junction anyway, the signs aren't really needed. They're just there to remind people who aren't aware of the Highway Code / have any common sense that parking close to a junction is dangeorus aren't they?

It seems obvious that the road between the clearway sign and the main road would be a clear why. The signs don't say "clearway -->" or "clearway <--"

Guest busdriver1
On Friday night I left my car in Victor Street Hillsborough. I knew I would be leaving it overnight so ensured I wasn't blocking anyone's drive and knew that the main road was a clearway so didnt want to cause any obstruction the following morning during rush hour. When I parked I looked for any signs or markings on the kerb edge etc but saw nothing.

When I returned to my car I had been given a ticket for parking on a clearway even though so far as I know Victor Street isnt a main road, its a side street.

I would have thought to be legal the road has to be subject to an Urban Clearway Order?

Has anyone else been in this position? If so did you appeal and was it successful.

by stating you knew it was a clearway you have answered your own question. PAY UP

On Friday night I left my car in Victor Street Hillsborough. I knew I would be leaving it overnight so ensured I wasn't blocking anyone's drive and knew that the main road was a clearway so didnt want to cause any obstruction the following morning during rush hour. When I parked I looked for any signs or markings on the kerb edge etc but saw nothing.

by stating you knew it was a clearway you have answered your own question. PAY UP

Well he didn't actually...he said he knew the main road was a clearway so parked in a side street...