Is this parking ticket fair and legal?

The signs are a hell of a long way back from Infirmary Road here.

That doesn't really matter.

There are signs to show that you are joining a clearway at all points of entry, and even the occasional reminder along Infirmary Road.

You should assume that you are still on a clearway until you see a sign marking "End".

I have been going through Page Hall junction of Barnsley Rd/Herries Rd every evening for the past week (visiting somebody in hospital).

I'm just wondering, is this area a no-go zone for traffic wardens and police, or is the area in some kind of bubble where normal laws don't apply? People around there just seem to park anywhere causing lots of obstructions on main roads.

In a perfect world there should be double yellow lines, but parking close to any junction is bad manners and dangerous, it restricts view and access for other vehicles.

Take a look at the Google of Bedford St and tell me if those cars parked illegally are ever going to obstruct any one.

Take a look at the Google of Bedford St and tell me if those cars parked illegally are ever going to obstruct any one.

Take a look and tell me for sure they wont? All it'll take is a LGV/HGV trying to exit that road onto the clearway. They pull up to their give way line but cant stay on their side of the road because of the parked cars. Straddling the centre line waiting at the red light traffic turns onto that road, but cant clear the junction for the big truck in the way, stopping up traffic on the main road. Tiny things like that have a domino effect, and someone somewhere has found some way to justify it being like that, or it wouldn't be like that...

Take a look and tell me for sure they wont? All it'll take is a LGV/HGV trying to exit that road onto the clearway. They pull up to their give way line but cant stay on their side of the road because of the parked cars. Straddling the centre line waiting at the red light traffic turns onto that road, but cant clear the junction for the big truck in the way, stopping up traffic on the main road. Tiny things like that have a domino effect, and someone somewhere has found some way to justify it being like that, or it wouldn't be like that...

Thats bunkham! the side up to the lights has double yellow lines making it clear to all and sundry that you cannot park there so as the exit will be clear at all times.

Thats bunkham! the side up to the lights has double yellow lines making it clear to all and sundry that you cannot park there so as the exit will be clear at all times.

This is exactly what the clearway signs do. Just take an extra few seconds and check. Its very easy to avoid getting a ticket.

In Sheffield, the way that the council has extended parking restrictions to side roads is confusing to motorists and is not supported by the official Traffic Signs Manual.

When the Supertram track was installed, the Railway Inspectorate (the Government body which controls railways) insisted that the route be designated as a clearway, so, the signing which is used is legally compliant and is appropriate for the location.

The use of clearways like this is quite widespread in other places, they certainly do the same in Manchester.

Signs of this nature have been around a long time and motorists should be aware of the meaning of all signs and lines used in the UK, so I don't think that saying that these signs confuse people is a tenable position. The plain truth is that many drivers just don't look at signs.