Tips wanted for ancestry/uk

nanrobbo

I have just spoken to my wife who uses Ancestry quite a lot. She says that if you know the names of your grandparents just feed them in along with any other details and take it from there.

Don't think the helpline number is going to be of much use to you but I suppose you could mention it to your grandkids

Do you mean they have bought you a subscription so that you can access census returns and BMD indexes?

I have been using Ancestry for years and it has been incredibly helpful. If you want to pm me I will try and help more.

I've used Ancestry for about 2 years now and I've found it very useful. The good thing is, when you're creating a family tree, it will suggest documents (census returns, BMD certificates etc) that it thinks match certain names on your tree, which can be very helpful.

As for the initial start out, I fortunately already knew a lot about my ancestors so it was easy to find the documents I was looking for, but as long as you know, say, (great) grandparents names and a rough idea of when they were born you should find what you're looking for okay. Ofcourse when you've found them on census returns, you can then see their parents and when they were born, so you can then search for them aswell, and just keep going back like that really. But if you want to go quite far back you'll end up needing to look at parish records too :)

Archived