Things that go bump in the night...SPOOKY

Oh yes very funny.

Unfortunately the noises returned last night.

We had been out for a meal and retired early to enjoy one another's company. About 3 am I was woken by footsteps and scraping noises. The OH was not in the land of the living, and I got out of bed for a look around. The noises were coming from the strange smelling bedroom. This is in the old part of the house and requires going down 3 stairs onto a landing and up 3 steps to the door. I was approaching the landing when I heard a strange scream which I think came from outside. This was followed by a crash from in the room. It sounded like someone dropping a pile of plates.

I am afraid this was all too much for me. Whatever made the noise I did not wish to meet it, and certainly not in my state of total undress.

I headed back to our bedroom by which time the OH had been worken by the crash. We went to the bedroom and found absolutely nothing. There was not a thing out of place.

We went back to bed and he fell asleep immediately. It took me a while to nod off and I was rather annoyed that my alarm went off to remind me I had arranged to go swimming early.

I am back in the house on my own and once again everything is quiet. The OH has gone to work but texted me to say he is getting someone to come and look at the room. It still smells very strange in there.

Whenever there were little noises in the house as a youngster, my mum always said that it was just the 'house settling'!

I remember a really spooky story around 25 years ago when some friends of the family, living in Swallownest prior to the relief road being built, unearthed the remains of some old pit ponies in their front garden.

That night their daughter felt someone sitting on the end of her bed. She woke up expecting to see someone but no-one was there. Her mum also had an uneasy night.

They covered the bones up in the morning and that was the end of that.

I like to believe that 'walls have ears' and that over many years sound can get absorbed in the bricks and mortar of buildings. Whether that extends to a natural belief in ghosts, I don't know. But if sound gets 'stored' in these old buildings, then it only makes sense that these same sounds get 'released' at some later date.

Keep us informed on this interesting topic, won't you?

It is only faint, but it reminds me of the lavatory in a flat I shared with 2 male students. That Saturday morning fragrance.

Nice, does your OH smell the same thing? The theory goes, I think, that a good spirit smells like flowers and a bad spirit smells like decay. Unless you are possessed and then to you, something good smells bad.

This topic is rather interesting. We once had an instance at work where a family kept getting water leaks through their ceiling where the were no pipes to leak, about a bucket full would come through at a time from various places. I was convinced it was a water poltergeist.

Nice, does your OH smell the same thing? The theory goes, I think, that a good spirit smells like flowers and a bad spirit smells like decay. Unless you are possessed and then to you, something good smells bad.

This topic is rather interesting. We once had an instance at work where a family kept getting water leaks through their ceiling where the were no pipes to leak, about a bucket full would come through at a time from various places. I was convinced it was a water poltergeist.

Yes the OH can smell it as well. There is an on suite in the bedroom but as no-one has used the room for a couple of months I can't think it is that. The crash last night was quite frightening. It certainly wasn't a warm house cooling down. It was definitely something being smashed, but we found nothing.

I don't feel uncomfortable in the house and have been here more or less on my own since 10 am. I have been in the room several times putting bleach down the drains and lighting scented candles, but nothing has made any difference.

Archived