Where did Pearl Street go

Hey, I lived in the next yard to 'Auntie Betty' and 'Uncle Stan' as they were known to me. And of course my old best buddy John Blackwell!

Can you remember a little scruffy kid he went by the name Paddy? if you can, before you decide to comment, thats me! :)

I remember John Blackwell. My eldest brother Mark (and Michael Thompson, who lived next door to us) on Croydon St, were friends of his, i believe in the 60's and 70's. Building go-carts out of old prams and whizzing down Croydon and Stemp St. i recall they got upto at one point. :hihi:

Edited by Joe9T

That shop at the corner of Sharrow lane and Priory road was owned by an old couple during the war and just after. They baked bread and sold newspapers. I papered their back living room, we lived on Priory terrace.

Mr Frank A. Pegg owned it in 1954 (according to Kellys directory), Mrs Hazeltine had got the shop by 1968 and Betty Hill after that in the 1980s i think. Can you remember Pullfreys on corner of Fentonville and Sharrow Lne? John Morton had it in 1942 and 1954. Pulfreys had got the shop by 1968.

BTW, I had a den at the very bottom of Priory Terrace in late 1974 into 75. The owner of bottom house on right at far end allowed me to build a den where wall was that looked over to Smeaton St.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather Ernest Miles was born on Pearl st before marrying my grandmother and moving all the way to Mackenzie st - number 20 near the top. The terraced houses backed on to a large, sloping yard, accessed by dark passageways and with the houses of Pearl st over the back wall.

Not certain, but other names in the same yard may have been Reaney/Rayney and Keyworth who were, possibly, relatives of the Miles.

I remember visiting every Saturday (late 60's) watching the wrestling on World of Sport then running down the street to the corner shop to buy a green'un for grandad and a Beano and roll of paper gunpowder caps for myself!

Hi Mick, would you know in which year Pearl St Playground began and ended? I was only eight in 1973 and I went to the playground until it was ended, which must have been about 1974 no later, but not sure. Be nice to know when it begun (exact year) and exact year of closing. And why it closed as well.

Joe 9t.

I was also 8 in 1973 but not living in Sheffield.

Moved here in feb 1975 and pearl st playground was deffo there then, I used to spend hours there. Not sure when it closed. Late 70's ? Can remember the Smiths clearly - very moody people - also remember making nets for the goalposts at the top of the playground just below the swings that were on the tarmac, the wooden slide and the hut at the bottom. Made the nets out of 3 old tennis nets.

See Tony Tigwell regularly at sheffield Eagles matches, Still fit as a fiddle and a top fella.

Joe 9t.

Moved here in feb 1975 and pearl st playground was deffo there then, I used to spend hours there. Not sure when it closed. Late 70's ? Can remember the Smiths clearly - very moody people - also remember making nets for the goalposts at the top of the playground just below the swings that were on the tarmac, the wooden slide and the hut at the bottom. Made the nets out of 3 old tennis nets.

See Tony Tigwell regularly at sheffield Eagles matches, Still fit as a fiddle and a top fella.

I was in Donna Smith's year at school. I Seem to remember her having lots of brothers...

Joe 9t.

Moved here in feb 1975 and pearl st playground was deffo there then, I used to spend hours there. Not sure when it closed. Late 70's ?...

Cheers for that Blodsy... The only reason i thought it ended around '74, was because my brother had an Evil Knievel and the playground i believe went from being the playground to being fenced off and a place for lorries. We used the site after the playground had gone, to do jumps over things like Knievel did with our bikes and that was 1975/6 period. I do think that the playground had well gone by 1976. (ps i do now think it lasted into 1975, as i can recall my bike being taken off me by one of the Smiths boys and that would have been later than March 1975, when i got it for my birhday. But by the end of '75, i think the playground was no more.)

Edited by Joe9T