Whatever happened to Irvine Patnick?

I think some of the same family run The Local Trading company shop on London Road - they sell all sorts of upholstery stuff - foam, cushions, fabric etc. I went in there the other week - very strange little place, but really helpful!

Thanks for the info arthur, I was born in 1948 and lived in those houses until the mid 60's.

Little london road ws a tipical working class area but everyone sure looked after one another, such fond memories of that area. "My ROOTS"

• 9 months later...

I well remember Patnick's double-fronted junk shop on Langsett Road, and old Aaron at the counter - also the Page Hall shop. The first Patnick to settle in Sheffield came from Eastern Europe (he voted with his feet during the pogroms) and was apparently a glazier. This might have been Aaron, or his dad. Going from house to house doing glazing jobs he got to know of secondhand items for sale, and that's how they got into the junk business. But it wasn't all secondhand stuff - I remember in the early 1970s there was a big sign in the window of the Langsett Road shop that read "net curtains - we have enough for all the windows in Sheffield" (might have had something to do with young Irvine being in the textile trade). The "family seat" was a big house in Wadsley. Aaron died many years ago but Irvine (Cyril Irvine Patnick, O.B.E.) is indeed still going strong at 77 - he lives on Abbeydale Road South.

Has the story of the Patnick Family ever been put into print.

I would think it would make an excellent book.

The family seems to be dogged with half truths and inacuracies, some even on this posting.

The family has added colour, hard work and some distinction to the city of Sheffield.

I knew Aaron and he was a true 'mensch'.

Happy Days!

As far as I know the story of the Patnicks has never been put into print; I agree it would make an excellent book. I did read something in "The Star" about the family's past when the Wadsley house was sold, maybe 25 years ago - this is how I learned about the original Patnick (Aaron, or one generation back?) being a glazier, and how this led to dealing in secondhand goods. The 1925 Kelly's Directory lists general dealers Aaron Patnick at 301/303 Langsett Road and Harry Patnick at 479 Staniforth Road, also hardware dealer Israel Patnick at 286 Shalesmoor. The 1973 Kelly's (almost the last) still shows Aaron's business but the others had gone. There are also Bernard, Irvine, Israel, Kenneth and Philip. The Patnicks certainly contributed a lot of hard work, colour and enterprise to Sheffield, as did many Jewish refugees from Eastern Europe. I only met Aaron on odd occasions but he struck me as being a very open-minded person, easy to communicate with, as well as an astute businessman. Indeed a true "mensch".

Edward Patnick made a wonderful speech at my father-in-law's funeral and also performed some Jewish ritual which was interesting to say the least.

(My late father-in-law wasn't even Jewish but that's another kettle of fish.)

I agree that a book on the history of the Patnick family would make fascinating reading!

Just for the record I’ve been looking for the Patnicks on http://www.findmypast.com. The deaths index shows that Israel Patnick, born 3 July 1899, died in the first quarter of 1978, while Aaron Patnick, born 21 October 1897, died in the last quarter of 1979. In the birth indexes I easily found Israel (born in Sheffield) but Aaron is not to be found - so perhaps Aaron was born just before the family emigrated, and Israel soon after their arrival in Sheffield. But for some reason they are not to be found in the 1901 census return, anywhere in England & Wales (maybe they had gone back to Poland for a while?) If Aaron’s date of birth is correct, then there must have been two branches of the Patnick family in Sheffield in 1897, as Esther Minnie Patnick's birth was registered in Sheffield in the third quarter of 1897 - a matter of four months, at the most, before Aaron was born in October. No doubt a living member of the family could fill in the details - how about writing that book, Irvine?!

Archived