Sheffield Pub Tour

Snakey_B

Me and a few friends have started to do a bit of a pub tour of sheffield,once a week we go out one night to 2-3 pubs in a area in which weve never had a drink before. But were coming to a bit of a standstill as we dont know a massive amount on where all the pubs are(were from just outside sheffield ,donfield) So anybody know a decent website in which lists pubs by area with a map option ?? Or reccomend a mini pub crawl! Cheers x

Here are some ideas, starting with your local area (Dronfield)

Dronfield Woodhouse & Dronfield Civic Centre

Miners Arms

Talbot Arms (if open)

Jolly Farmer

Victoria

Blue Stoops

Green Dragon

Dronfield bottom road

White Swan

Old Sidings

Bridge Inn

Coach & Horses

Bradway & Totley

Bradway Hotel

Castle Inn

Old Mother Redcap

Shepley Spitfire

Cross Scythes

Fleur de Lys

Crown

Cricket Inn

Greenhill & Meadowhead

White Hart

White Swan

Norton Hotel

Millhouses

Wagon & Horses

Robin Hood

Millhouses Hotel

Valley of Beer (Sheffield's famous real ale circuit from Kelham Island to Hillsborough)

Shakespeare

Wellington

Ship

Kelham Island Tavern

Fat Cat

Milestone

Riverside

Harlequin

Hillsborough Hotel

New Barrack Tavern

Rawson Spring

Sheffield Brewery Company (opens for prebooked groups only)

Woodseats

Abbey

Big Tree

Woodseats Hotel

Chantrey

Woodseats Palace

Heeley

Red Lion

White Lion

Sheaf View

Shakespeare

Earl of Arundel & Surrey

Ecclesall Road

Devonshire Arms

Pomona

Varsity

Nursery Tavern

Champs

Porter Brook

Porter Cottage

Chapeltown & Burncross

Commercial

Coach & Horses

Crown & Cushion

Norfolk Arms

Prince of Wales

Wharncliffe Arms

Walkley

Florist

Freedom

Rose House

Heavygate

Royal

Sportsman

Walkley Cottage

Lodge Moor

Shiny Sheff

Sportsman

Three Merry Lads

Bradfield Bus Crawl (route 61/62 from Hillsborough Interchange)

Nags Head (Loxley)

Bradfield Brewery Tour (High Bradfield) - advance booking required

Old Horns Inn (High Bradfield)

Plough (Low Bradfield)

Royal Hotel (Dungworth)

Anvil (Stannington)

The little blue book - Real Ale in Sheffield - I think it was called (AndyC will know) is what you need.

Very useful and only about 4 quid. Divides city up by areas and lists every pub (real ale or not), with photos and maps. Slightly outdated now (about 4 years?) but still fairly reliable - the good pubs are still good pubs by and large. Maybe out of print though?

Good lists Andy C!

Just a note about the Crookes/moor area. Masons is currently closed, but hopefully not for too long.

Confusingly the Hallamshire Hotel, top of Lidgate Lane, Crookes, is actually the 'Mad House'. The Hallamshire House on School Road is not. The amount of confusion this causes....

How about a University list? Springfield, West End, Harley, Uni arms, Star & Garter. Not all necessarily great pubs, but a compact little area which could lead to Walkley, Broomhill or the Red Deer/Red House/Fagans/Dog&Partridge/Three Tuns/Three Cranes(still open?) area?

The little blue book - Real Ale in Sheffield - I think it was called (AndyC will know) is what you need.

Very useful and only about 4 quid. Divides city up by areas and lists every pub (real ale or not), with photos and maps. Slightly outdated now (about 4 years?) but still fairly reliable - the good pubs are still good pubs by and large. Maybe out of print though?

I think this is pretty dated now. A lot of pubs which did not stock real ale 4 years ago have woken up to the HUGE increase in real Ale sales over the last couple of years, and so many real ale outlets will not be listed. It wont list either of my pubs I would guess

I think this is pretty dated now. A lot of pubs which did not stock real ale 4 years ago have woken up to the HUGE increase in real Ale sales over the last couple of years, and so many real ale outlets will not be listed. It wont list either of my pubs I would guess

It was out of date as soon as it came out.

But it lists all pubs whether they sell/sold real ale or not and tells you where they are. The ones without real ale don't get much coverage, but they are at least listed (and many now sell real ale - eg the York!). So if you're going to, say Broomhill, and don't know the area, it is still useful as a local pub guide. But yes an updated version would be nice. Trouble is the rate of pub closures will make this difficult I would think.

By the way, the OP didn't mention real ale, or indeed any sort of ale at all, so maybe they're not bothered about cask beer, just the pubs.

Thankyou very much Andy! I was also thinking up norton leas ,sportsman ,mount view prince of wale and then cross (cant reamember but its down the same road as prince). The talbot arms isnt open anymore ,its closed. Last day was last friday ive been informed.....

Archived