Sheffield Pub Tour

Snakey_B

Where can i pick up this little blue book ? Ive has a look on ebay ,waterstones website and also searched on googlebut found nothing......

Also wheres the princess royal pub mentioned after the old grindstone ? And the pubs mentioned on the walkey tour are they all on that main walkey road (the one on which you pass the star and garter pub.....)

The Princess Royal is on Slinn Street in Crookes. Slinn Street runs between Western Road and Heavygate Road. It's a nice friendly local, not far from either the Cobden View or Heavygate. Or for that matter the Punchbowl, which is not included on the Crookes list...

Walkley - only the Rose and Freedom are on South Road - the main road which passes Star & Garter and changes it's name every 50 yards. Bolsover Street, Winter Street, Crookes Valley Road, Barber Road, Commonside, South Road - any I missed? The Springvale and Hadfield are also on that road between Star & Garter and Rose House. And the Dram Shop, best offy for miles...

The other pubs in the Walkley list aren't far from the main drag. Also the Crown and the Palm aren't included in that list.

Where can i pick up this little blue book ? Ive has a look on ebay ,waterstones website and also searched on googlebut found nothing......

Also wheres the princess royal pub mentioned after the old grindstone ? And the pubs mentioned on the walkey tour are they all on that main walkey road (the one on which you pass the star and garter pub.....)

The book is called 'A Real Ale Guide to Sheffield'. It's a bit out of date now but still reasonably useful. You can order it online at http://www.camra.org.uk/shop you will need to click on the link for 'Beer and Pub guides'.

We are looking at publishing a new edition next year and will be looking for volunteers to survey pubs at some point soon...

....the Punchbowl, which is not included on the Crookes list...

...Also the Crown and the Palm aren't included in that list.

I think the list above will be just those that are currently known to sell real ale. It's not a complete list of every pub in every area of Sheff.

I think this is pretty dated now. A lot of pubs which did not stock real ale 4 years ago have woken up to the HUGE increase in real Ale sales over the last couple of years, and so many real ale outlets will not be listed. It wont list either of my pubs I would guess

The Dove & Rainbow always served real ale so will be in the guide but has much improved since the Goldenfleece takeover, elsewhere in the city centre we now have real ale available at RSVP, Bungalows & Bears, Forum, Old House, Nelson and Varsity. Muse has become Dogma, Circle has opened and closed, The 192 club has become the University Arms pub etc etc.

I think the list above will be just those that are currently known to sell real ale. It's not a complete list of every pub in every earea of Sheff.

I think the little blue book must be out of print now. One of the serious ale pubs may have a copy you could look at to do a bit of research over a pint. It was an exhausitive list, but more of a historical document now.

Fair enough, I was just trying to help out the OP. They never mentioned Real Ale at all, just pubs in an area to have a drink at.

hey all - and sorry Snakey for hijacking your thread - but you have inspired me to do what I did in York and start a FB group with all th places to drink in and around Sheffield.

please feel free to update - so people can get good info about bars and drinking places.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=44841993660#/group.php?gid=44841993660&ref=mf

Archived