I wanna be a DJ

dm33

What sort of DJ though? If it's a radio one DJ, it's a bit of trades descriptions act as Chris Moyles talks more than he plays records?

My favourite DJ in town is Keef Tango (Old House) as he plays good music in the main and will always play me a request! :D I'm also impressed with the guys on a Saturday in the Bowery at the moment and someone in Bungalows really impressed me the other week who worked on the staff by playing three not so obvious choices to the point the music geeks I was out with (me included) stopped talking and started bopping around. :hihi:

My all time DJ though is Annie Nightingale. That woman is an Icon.

I would have thought good communiction skills and ability to adapt your music/style to the people you are playing too would be fairly high up

TOTALLY!!! Without those skills you may as well become a Bank Telephone Help Desk Operator!!!!:hihi:

( I recently talked with a total numbskull who had the customer service skills of an 'Old Skool' Door Supervisor, and who played me 'dodgy' music on hold too!)

Just play music that keeps people dancing throughout your set. As long as you can mix reasonably well that's all that really matters. All the fancy tricks in the world can't hide a rubbish tune selection!!

If you are asking what you need in terms of equipment, I would buy the cheapest setup you can. If you can sound good on that then you'll sound good on anything plus you are not wasting hundreds/thousands of pounds if you can't get on with it.

thanks musicisking you hit the nail on the head.i play mostly requests made by the people who come into the venue where i work,at the end of the day they pay my wage so i try to be fair and give them what they ask for, trouble is that nowdays if i don't play (britney) circus,womanizer,if you seek amy or (lady gaga) just dance or poker face they leave the dancefloor.then i take it upon myself to play jump around by house of pain, (they don't know this song) as they were still in nappies at the the time of it's release they go bananas. my conclusion to this is i will never be an amazing dj (never wanted to be) i just play music and get paid for it. apparently if you wear make up and orange self tan you will go far (not for me)!!!!

thanks musicisking you hit the nail on the head.i play mostly requests made by the people who come into the venue where i work,at the end of the day they pay my wage so i try to be fair and give them what they ask for, trouble is that nowdays if i don't play (britney) circus,womanizer,if you seek amy or (lady gaga) just dance or poker face they leave the dancefloor.then i take it upon myself to play jump around by house of pain, (they don't know this song) as they were still in nappies at the the time of it's release they go bananas. my conclusion to this is i will never be an amazing dj (never wanted to be) i just play music and get paid for it. apparently if you wear make up and orange self tan you will go far (not for me)!!!!
Which venue is this :loopy:

what does it take to be an amazing dj?

I am a bit confused as you have two questions here

My question firstly to you is why do you want to be a dj?

there are a lot of aspects that make you an AMAZING dj. Unfortunately in this generation of djs there are not as many AMAZING djs as there were in the past. I personally blame downloading and digital generation. For me these 2 aspects have killed music and the whole art of djing is now suffering.

Archived