I wanna be a DJ

dm33

I personally blame downloading and digital generation. For me these 2 aspects have killed music and the whole art of djing is now suffering.

I disagree - I played wax for a good 10 years before eventually going digital (after much resistance). I've never looked back though as I've now got access to the most amazing tunes, acapellas, samples etc that'd I'd never have gotten if I relied on what I could get from record shops. It's really helped me step up my game.

That said, I only tend to use it for house music, I could never dream of playing hip-hop tunes on CD or MP3, it's just not right!

Why dont you take part in Search for a Dj 2009 at Westways??? Winner recieves a dj contract with Gosh Management and paid work across South Yorkshire.

All you need to do is show off your skills in a 20 minute set infront of a panel of experienced judges, there is NO music policy so feel free to play whatever you want!

If your interested drop me an email at clairejones@goshmanagement.com

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

As the 2007 winner of this and judge at last years final i can recommend this competition greatly as i've worked some great venues as a result of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well lets see, its like most things I guess - you have to want to do it, you have to have a passion for it, you have to be a little techy and if you want to do your own mixing then you will need a little knowledge of music too!

There are many places you can learn the basics and MOD runs training courses in London if you can afford them if not there are places here in Sheffield that can help you on the road.

What kind of music do like to listen to/play?

What kind of DJ would you like to be apart from amazing?

Do you live in Sheffield?

Do you have any experience?

Do you have any equipment?

Do you have a music collection - MP3,CD or records?

:thumbsup:

I have found that the best way to get into practice DJ-ing is to have a real PASSION for the music you like and to build up a playlist based on what you really like to listen to yourself.

I have an amazing variety of favourite tracks which I have played at the odd opportunities I get in DJ competitions and guest slots, ranging from:

Classical (Yes, CLASSICAL Music, Mozart, Wagner, Handel and al the gang)

60's and 70's Rock & Roll, for example:

Neil Young, After the Goldrush

Manfred Mann, Davy's On The Road Again

3 Degrees, When Will I See You Again

The Shadows, Classical Gas

T Rex, 20th Century Boy

Sparks, This Town Aint big Enough For The Both Of Us

Tim Blake, New Jerusalem

Hawkwind, Silver Machine

Kate Bush, Wuthering Heights

Lena Lovich, Lucky Number

80's and 90's:

Classix Nouveaux, Guilty,

Andy Bown, Another Shipwreck

The Planets, Iron For The Iron

Pet Shop Boys, Domino Dancing,

New Order, Blue Monday,

Depeche Mode, Behind The Wheel

Psychic TV, Ov Power

Blancmange, Living on The Ceiling

Teardrop Explodes, Reward

...I can go on and on, not to mention the literally hundreds of tracks over the last 10 years I have collected....

Learn to LOVE your music, play it regularly, get tips from friends who are DJ's as to how to keep an eye on the beat and to know your way around the decks, and DON'T be afraid to ask the sound man at venues.

Whatever you do, unless you are flushed with cash, don't risk getting ripped off by paying over the odds for 'DJ courses' unless you have checked them out thoroughly, as a lot of what you might learn, you can pick up from friends for free if you have any who are DJ's.

Finally, from my own experience, many venues are now DJ-ing entirely off MP and CD or even MP3 ONLY, so do check about transferring any music on vinyl to MP3, you will need a write to MP3 vinyl deck (CD's you can transfer on any computer); there are also things such as formatting memory sticks correctly for using on MP3 decks, but there's a wealth of help available on the web for this.:D

How old are you? Can't believe nobody has asked.

EXPERIENCES. Good and bad.Learn from them.Take as many jobs as you can.Djing without a mic (Mixing)Takes practice.With mic takes confidence.Both, takes practice and confidence.Don't be afraid of criticism.You can only get better.If they don't like it,there is plenty of other places they can go.

HAVE YOU GOT RYTHM THOUGH? OR ARE YOU JUST A HUMAN JUKEBOX?

Archived