Information about Ivy Mustill

Finding a person's descendants and establishing family links can be difficult, while nowadays tracing someone's ancestors is easier thanks to Internet sources. The 2004 electoral roll lists 4 Mustill households in Sheffield - PM me if you'd like the addresses.

In case it's of interest, the BMD records indicate that an Ivy Mustill was born in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1895. She evidently married Ernest Morton in Apr-Jun 1918, and died in Jan-Mar 1941. The 1901 census shows Ivy Mustill living at 35 Chapel Street with her parents Harry, a 37 year-old "mineral water drayman" and Ellen, also 37. Their other children living with them were Emma, 16, George H., 14 ("stable boy & groom"), Nellie, 10, Walter, 8, Mabel, 2 and Martha, 7 months. Harry died in Oct-Dec 1923.

Ivy's parents are buried in Tinsley Park Cemetery:

Burials in Tinsley Park Cemetery

grave MA80gp

MUSTELL Ellen 11 Dec 1946 82 widow 950 Bamsley Rd / 2 Herries Rd Sheffield

MUSTILL Harry 3 Jan 1924 58 drayman 17 Stoke St Attercliffe

gp=general portion (which suggests they were non-conformists)

2 Herries Rd=Northern General Hospital

The mispellings are as recorded in the transcription

Hugh

Hi STUNMON - I have PM'd the addresses.

Looking at post-1983 BMD records, a Gertrude Mustill died in Sheffield in October 1987. She was aged 92, and she was evidently the Gertrude Turner who married a Walter Mustill (presumably Ivy's older brother) in Oct-Dec 1913. A George Mustill, born in Sheffield in Oct-Dec 1908, died there in March 1985, and a Doris Bethia Mustill died in February 2004, aged 98 - she was probably the Doris Steel who married a William H. Mustill in the Hunslet (Leeds) area in Apr-Jun 1927.

Thankyou both for information. It gives me a start!

The only thing I'm confused about is :

The reason my sister and I knew our father had been married before was a chance remark by a friend of my mothers referring to a family friend we'd always called Auntie Maud as being the sister of my fathers first wife - Ivy Mustill!

My mother would not speak about it.

The aunt was called Maud Fenton and was married to Tom Fenton. They lived on Barnsley Road at Sheffield Lane Top.

There is no mention of a Maud in the children of the Mustills?

Any clues?

Maud MUSTILL was born in 1903, so she is not in hillsbro's listing from the 1901 census. She married Thomas O FENTON in 1925 (I think the 'O' is for Oates).

Thomas Oates Fenton died in 1989 aged 86.

Maud died in 1996 aged 92.

Both deaths registered in Sheffield.

Hugh

The http://www.freebmd.org.uk lists most (though not quite all) births up to the early 1930s, with each entry including the mother's maiden name. I checked Morton birth entries as far as the index goes (Jan-Mar 1931), giving Mustill as the mother's maiden name, but I found nothing relevant.

As for doing personal research, apart from the "traditional" methods of going to register offices for certificates, or public search rooms for BMD records, there are a number of useful websites. The freebmd one above is available to anyone free of charge; others are pay-to-view sites for which you can purchase voucher/units or a subscription. I subscribe to http://www.ancestry.co.uk and http://www.findmypast.com.

In case it is of interest, from http://www.findmypast.com I can add the birth dates of Maud Fenton, née Mustill (30 June 1903) and Thomas Oates Fenton (25 February 1903). The 1973 Kelly's directory confirms that they lived at 950 Barnsley Road.

Archived