Anyone Know Anything At All About Arbourthourne Pond?

Hey Everyone

We're after as much info as possible on the history of Arbourthorne Pond and its immediate surrounding area. As far as we know there is nothing documentated as such, so absolutely anything at all regarding stories, contacts, local history, specific knowledge of what has been there, pictures etc would be most appreciated.

I spent many a day/night fishing the Arbourthorne pond. Started when i was about 10 and fished it until i was about 28. I never once had any trouble and found the regular people around there to be a great bunch of people with a good sense of community.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a Park keeper for Sheffield Parks Department around 1963 - 1964 and at that time, the pond belonged to the Parks Dept, for the free recreational use of its employees. Nobody policed it as far as I know so it would be used by many in the area who had no connection with the Parks Dept. There was a pavilion where we could make a drink etc. - even contained an old piano on which I thumped out a tune or two. All the Parks had the same locks on gates & many buildings, as did the pond, so our keys gained us automatic entry.

some good fish in ther at 1 time carp tench pike ect but do not no about now seen more cars than fish

I used to climb trees around the fish pond and broke my arm when I fell out of one when I was 7:(

Me and my sister also used to go trying to catch tadpoles - not sure why though:loopy:

Archived