Masons Arms, Crookes: now closed?

Sharp87

Here is what I've got about the Masons Arms from an advert about to go to press

A warm welcome awaits you from Sarah, Steve and the team.

Whats on: Tuesday - quiz night, Wednesday afternoon bingo, Thursday poker night, Sunday free pool table from 7pm. Themed party last weekend of every month.

Cask Ales - Copper Dragon Golden Pippin and John Smiths Magnet plus guess the guest on the 1st of every month

Large beer garden

Sky Sports & ESPN

• 8 years later...
Guest makapaka

Does anyone know what the plans are for the masons?

It’s boarded up and looks like builders are in there.

Does anyone know what the plans are for the masons?

It’s boarded up and looks like builders are in there.

No idea but I was always surprised that it was still open and occasionally visited to see if it had improved. Last time I went it had got worse. I went in on a Saturday night last September. There were about 5 people in the little room, no-one in the back room, TV on a shelf in the corner blaring out some talent show tripe that no-one was watching, no cask ales, no bitter of any sort not even smoothflow, no bottles worth drinking, merely a choice of 4 different lagers. Out of sympathy I had a half of gassy lager and left.

It's a pity as I've had decent beer in there before and always generally liked the quirky old-school charm of the pub. Maybe it'll reopen as something better.

Has a lease sign up, and as mentioned loads of trades have been in there. Looks like it must be getting a decent enough refurb.

Went in last year when i first moved to the area, it was almost comically stereotypical. Dated, old toilets, generally run down, regulars post work crowd only. To be fair it has plenty of competition in a worse position, and I can't see anyone rushing to take it on.

• 1 month later...
Went in last night it’s more or less the same.

I looked in the open door as I passed in a car yesterday and the glimpse I got suggested the same.

New double glazing isn't really enough to pull in the customers.