Soffits - Do really need them?

jim lyon

Agree Hank

Just read my post back- the design I described -the gutter does not not sit on the soffit -my error -it actually attaches to the trusses via metal strapping brackets -the facia is then constructed on a vertical plane in line with the edge of the gutter and the soffit is attached accordingly the down pipe is cut through the soffit and with and elbow joint runs neatly down the wall --the gutter and down pipe are usually metal ( cast iron) -alot of council houses are like this-hope this clears it up- cant post pics as my Hnc is in building construction-when it comes to IT Im a pure novice- open to instruction though!!!!

Chris

Hi!

Firstly, there are a number of people who've approached me offering free quotes. While I realise that's probably because of the recession, @ present, I'm just in "information gathering mode", so I 'll make a note of the contacts & come back on them if I need to.

Right, being a complete novice, by "soffit", I'm referring to what I now understand are the bottom /horizontal panels & the vertical Fascias/bargeboards (?) The above description & the middle diagram in

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...x1/soffits.gif

seems pretty close to what I've got. Also, other houses in my street that don't have "soffits" have the roof rafters projecting out from the wall. Not having seen inside my "soffits", it seems reasonable @ this point to assume that's what I've got.

While I know little of the history of the house, I'm simply saying that the house was built around the mid (?) 1930s. And while it looked OK when I first bought it, in the last few years, the paint is flaking quite a bit, there's definitely a leak in the front corner after it rains. According to the horror stories I've been told, that means that the whole contraption is damp & starting to rot, & eventually, that'll affect the roof. Granted I've my doubts about the source of that (a salesman for a national company !), but it still needs to be checked out.

Any more specific advice would be welcomed!

Cheers,

Jim

You could of course just get the leaking joint sealed for now, a quick, easy (and cheap) job.

True, but I also happen to believe in PREVENTATIVE maintenance e.g. "a stitch in time saves nine". - Especially as while I can afford one "stitch", I certainly can't afford nine (e.g. a new roof ! ) - Not only that, IF it's needing done soon (ish), I'd rather get it done around then, rather than wait until I'm too old & past getting such potential problems solved :)

Cheers,

Jim

Was just offering a possible temporary solution as not everyone is fortunate enough to be in a position where they can get something like this done, plenty of people would have to save hard to get this done.

Advice comes free, everything else, well.........................

hi jim, could come around to look at the problem tell you whats need to be done to sort it its not a problem, i,ve left my number in a message a couple of days ago . this sounds to me a small job , good luck ta jeff . can give you customer,s i,ve work for on guttering jobs etc

Was just offering a possible temporary solution as not everyone is fortunate enough to be in a position where they can get something like this done, plenty of people would have to save hard to get this done.

Advice comes free, everything else, well.........................

JL - Er, what makes you think it's any different for me? :)

As I've said, @ this stage I just want to know the lie of the land so that I don't go off@ 1/2 ****!

• 3 weeks later...
I think you may have taken offence at something i've posted.

Was only offering help, advice, free quote.

Good luck getting thing sorted with who ever you use.

When I go off @ 1/2 ****, you'll know.

"I think you may have taken offence at something i've posted."

JlL - Nope. No problems with anybody here.

Hi!

One thing I'm still trying to obtain a second opinion on (because I first heard it from a salesman ! ) is that flaking paint on the soffits & fascia/bargeboard (which I've got plenty of) doesn't merely indicate the need for a repaint, but that, because they're so damp, the wood is flexing. The implication being that the dampness will then get into the eaves & eventually damage the roof, which will cost very serious money. - While that's a plausible theory (certainly for a novice), how likely is it to be true, & if so, what sort of time scale am I looking at? - Months - tens of years?

Cheers,

Jim

Hi!

One thing I'm still trying to obtain a second opinion on (because I first heard it from a salesman ! ) is that flaking paint on the soffits & fascia/bargeboard (which I've got plenty of) doesn't merely indicate the need for a repaint, but that, because they're so damp, the wood is flexing. The implication being that the dampness will then get into the eaves & eventually damage the roof, which will cost very serious money. - While that's a plausible theory (certainly for a novice), how likely is it to be true, & if so, what sort of time scale am I looking at? - Months - tens of years?

Cheers,

Jim

hi jim , sounds like it will effect it but best to get it sort soon to stop it , sounds like facias rotting or if not it will do with the water getting in , maybe the guttering leaking too. i would be happy to have a look for you , what you need is a trademan .. me ..not a salesman , can give you customers numbers i,ve work for home 01142203563 or 07861379796 ta jeff

Archived