Can we move to America?

Emmigrating to the US is very difficult and if you have no specific reason, other than you want to - almost impossible.

My fiance and I are emmigtating to the US and we are being sponsored by his Dad. We can't start this process until we are married and then the process will take approx. 8 yrs.

There are a number of ways in, but all have limitation etc...

1) Family sponsorship

2) Employment, but you would have to prove that you can do a job that no American can do.

3) Invest $ in a business - but you can only be a resident whilst the company is a success, if you fail, you would have to come back.

There are lots of websites about immigration to the US and even a Dummies guide - we have bout it.

Where in the US would you want to go? Do you know much about the US, its history and its politics etc - all very relevant questions to immogration officers!

Im an American ex-pat and even with a Dem in office you couldnt get me back there.

Well, maybe if you offered me a lifetime supplied of Outback Steakhouse or Wendys chicken nuggets, but seriously I have no desire to go home. My boyfriend prefers going back more than I do. Hes like dont you want to see your family? Im like they can come here.

If I had to go back to North America, Id chose Canada.

There appear to be quite a few French teaching positions with H1-B status (Google H1B French teacher). If you can get a company to sponsor you, you can then start applying for a green card. The problem is you need to be in the job until you get your green card, which can take several years.

Other ways would be the lottery or a internship visa.

I signed up for a few years in the US military. I originally emigrated to Canada, got laid off because either no more work or because of bad weather and having had enough went to New York and signed up. Back then they would accept Canadians or Canadian landed immigrants in the US military. Maybe still do.

After the paperwork and a stiff medical I was on a bus headed south to Parris Island for basic training in the US Marines.

It was a rough road but when I came out I got permanent resident status, all the Veterans Affairs benefits, money for college, low interest loan to buy a home and health benefits which helped me embark on a new life. Later I became a US citizen

Nothing wrong in giving something to the country of your adoption either

There appear to be quite a few French teaching positions with H1-B status (Google H1B French teacher). If you can get a company to sponsor you, you can then start applying for a green card. The problem is you need to be in the job until you get your green card, which can take several years.

Other ways would be the lottery or a internship visa.

If youre in reference to the Green Card lottery, UK citizens are NOT eligible to apply.

Archived