Sheffield: Past, present and future...

caroleve

Hi, Please can can anyone tell me what is the main economic sustenance for Sheffield today. I have talked to Stan Shaw one of the last 'little mesters', and have got his book, I have also read the 'Golden Blades of Hallamshire', and have been given a couple of copies of the 'History of a Parish' St Vincent's by Mr. Vincent Hale. Personal experiences are the backbone to my research.. I live in Norwich now, prior to that my dad was in the RAF.. so,I have really not experienced living in one place for more than two or three years.. so community to me is quite foreign.. I have also been looking at Brantham in Suffolk where the British Xylonite company made its roots and a new community was eventually made up from the workers.. prior to the company moving in, Brantham was strictly agricultural.. so they have experienced a great deal of change over the past 150 years.. (British Xylonite Company closed its doors in 2004/5),so things have now become very isolated.. and only the older generations have tried to preserve the past unity that they once were accustomed to.

Is this the case today in Sheffield? I watched a video on YouTube which showed the way that the people in Sheffield are now inundated with foreign students and other cultures... and as stated.. Sheffield is now not just seen as a group of parishes but as a whole district engulfing many areas that go well beyond the original boundry lines... did you notice this change when it started or did it happen in such a way that eventually one day people woke up and it was there and you just totally now accept it.

The other thing I would like to know about is religion, which seemed to have been the cement that held many communities together.. how has the demise of congregations broken up and isolated everyone, and what effect has this had on the young people that are growing up in an environment without the stability of a community. What are the things you have noticed that really have made a change to the old ways.. and how much has technology played a part in keeping Sheffield, Sheffield.. or turning it into a 'new city'. I am sorry, I know I go on.. but would dearly love to know what about any experiences the people of Sheffield might share with me from any angle or opinion.. Thanks

Carol XX :)

Archived