Canteen, Crosspool

tessashark

Agree with Medicgir; nothing like the standard of Catch and not the choice of Thyme, but amazing value. £12 for three courses.

The bread to start was fine and not dried out; just enough to nibble whilst ordering.

Posh cheese on toast was tasty and vegetable tagine was good. The portions are small but adequate; small dessert portions, but considering I don't normally have one, it was the perfect size. If you go prepared for what is served, you shouldn't leave disappointed.

Oh, good to see they have kept the juke box too.

• 1 year later...
Phoned tonight to book a table at Canteen next week to be told it is closing down for a bit and being reincarnated as...Catch!

They like to move with the times. This particular restaurant is the one they use as for experimenting.

They like to move with the times. This particular restaurant is the one they use as for experimenting.

Well it's hardly experimental is it? Catch was its previous incarnation. I see there was a piece about it in the Telegraph : "Richard Smith promises it will be "a fish market, with a nod to the seaside", serving a mix of great chippy-style food and daily seafood specials - with prices to match"

Well it's hardly experimental is it? Catch was its previous incarnation. I see there was a piece about it in the Telegraph : "Richard Smith promises it will be "a fish market, with a nod to the seaside", serving a mix of great chippy-style food and daily seafood specials - with prices to match"

I don't mean experimental as in dabbling with new, adventurous cuisine. After speaking with Mrs Smith herself, I was told that they use this particular restaurant to try out new ideas with the style of restaurant. ie they will change this restaurant on a semi-regular basis in order to keep up with the times, and see what works.

Yes but since he didn't take any notice, they should take it further to the owner if they are sufficiently concerned to bother putting it on here and include the complaint about the manager. It's no use complaining to the person you're complaining about.

I don't agree.

I had a meal out on Sunday at a famous good food pub and wasn't happy with the amount of asparagus that the meal came with, there were no heads and it was chopped up, I asked for more and explained there was 9 pieces of chopped asparagus on my plate to which a waitress brought a pot full but it was only thumbnail sized! I expected a few spears of asparagus!

So when the waitress came and took our plates away and said 'was everything ok?' I said 'no the veg was appauling'. About 5 minutes later a chef came out and gave me his sincere apologies and said that he has been trying to change the veg on the menu but the Manager won't budge and now he has my complaint he can advise the Manager that the menu needs slight revision, he was very nice and polite and said he would take the cost of the meal from our bill!! I gave him my thanks and that I sincerely appreciated him coming over to apologise and that the lamb on the meal was wonderful, my problem was just the veg......

This was the first time I had a problem with meals in the place as we have eaten there a lot and the food is always good, but I have only ever had roasts there.

If he hadn't have come out to talk to me I would have probably boycotted the meals and stuck to the sunday roasts and the place wouldv'e gone on my 'If there is nowhere else list', but because of how good it was handled, I will be going back!

Courtesy, genuine concern and politeness make all the difference!

Archived