Feminist idea - anyone know about this?

I'm trying to write an essay for university and I want to include a particular idea by a feminist writer - but I can't remember where I read it ... can anyone help please?

The idea is that boys, at a certain young age, cease to identify with their mother when they realise they are biologically like their father. From this point onwards, masculinity becomes problematic - the original separation from being all one together (family) to being in opposition, competitive... male violence towards women, etc... (something like that)

It seemed such a brilliant insight when I read it I'd like to look into it.

Thanks if u can help

I'm trying to write an essay for university and I want to include a particular idea by a feminist writer - but I can't remember where I read it ... can anyone help please?

The idea is that boys, at a certain young age, cease to identify with their mother when they realise they are biologically like their father. From this point onwards, masculinity becomes problematic - the original separation from being all one together (family) to being in opposition, competitive... male violence towards women, etc... (something like that)

Thanks if u can help

So masculinity becomes 'problematic at a very young age? The 'all men are potential rapists' philosophy which stereotypes males - except gays it seems - is an ideology which puts those who adhere to it in the same realm of narrow minded self-rightiousness as the knuckle dragging mysoginists who inspire it.

See, this is why everyone hates feminists and wants them to die in bizarre gardening accidents.

Also - are you trying to say that women are not competitive?

Women are not competitive. And I'll arm-wrestle you to the death if you say they are!:suspect:

So masculinity becomes 'problematic at a very young age? The 'all men are potential rapists' philosophy which stereotypes males - except gays it seems - is an ideology which puts those who adhere to it in the same realm of narrow minded self-rightiousness as the knuckle dragging mysoginists who inspire it.

Personally I'm not a fan of feminist writers who seem primarily focussed on developing 'man-hate'. In the real world everyone is a potential rapist. Men rape women, women rape men, men rape men and women rape women. You just don't hear a lot about the latter three. I don't know why some feminist writers insist on trying to blame men and their testosterone for violence. I suppose it may well be a common trait that violence breeds violence, but you don't specifically have to be male for that to hold true.

OK thanks for the thoughts so far, I won't try to answer them all, obviously some are opinions which is fine, but don't necessarily require an answer. I think there's a general opinion that men and women in general (with exceptions) behave in a some different ways by gender, which may be due to the way they're brought up differently in general (with exceptions)...

It's that specific point I'm interested in - about boys at the time they realise they're different to their mum (in one certain obvious respect!) HarmOKnee thanks for the suggestion about the Freudian idea, the Oedipus Complex I'll follow that up now, although I think there are particular feminist writers I should be quoting, who took up his ideas (& probably trashed them!!) so any further suggestions would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Thanks if u can help

I don't even believe its true !!

C

OK thanks for the thoughts so far, I won't try to answer them all, obviously some are opinions which is fine, but don't necessarily require an answer. I think there's a general opinion that men and women in general (with exceptions) behave in a some different ways by gender, which may be due to the way they're brought up differently in general (with exceptions)...

It's that specific point I'm interested in - about boys at the time they realise they're different to their mum (in one certain obvious respect!) HarmOKnee thanks for the suggestion about the Freudian idea, the Oedipus Complex I'll follow that up now, although I think there are particular feminist writers I should be quoting, who took up his ideas (& probably trashed them!!) so any further suggestions would be very much appreciated

Thanks

There are quite a few links to feminist writers from the wiki site link I gave you. I wrote loads of essays on psychoanalysis & feminist theory when I was at uni - but I can't remember much at all now :( Laura Mulvey springs to mind, but I can't remember any others. If I do I'll let you know.

Archived