Estate agent and lettings MEGATHREAD - No advertising in here

Hi, I'm looking to sell my house in S7?

Does anybody have any recommendations and rough ideas of fee?

I've had a valuation from Saxton Mee which was 0.89% + £250 to put it on the market but we put our name on their database for buying a house and haven't heard anything from them.

Has anybody got any recent experience of Spencers?

£250 and 0.89 is a lot.

I am just doing some market research as looking into starting a local estate agency.

What is most important to you? Price, opening hours, service etc

A tip for you, to a certain extent it doesn't matter which agent you use in terms of marketing as 99% of sales come through portals such as rightmove. Although some agents will try and tell you that they have special private databases full of clients ready to buy your home for vastly over market value.

---------- Post added 20-08-2014 at 09:56 ----------

I would always recommend using an Independent Agent over a National Firm.

I would most definitely agree with this.

Edited by AJSanderson

Hi

Like you say, many agents offer very similar packages for marketing, although some offer much better quality.

Finding a buyer is often the easiest part of selling your home though, so make sure you get a very good recommendation on post-sale service. The national average of fall-throughs is around one in three, as many agents don't have the experience or knowledge to know how to see a sale through all the way to completion. Experience is everything in this regard, and the biggest / cheapest agents don't necessarily have the most experienced staff.

There are many obstacles to come after a sale has been agreed and so our best top tip would be to not wholly focus on marketing but on successful sales and fewest fall-throughs.

Spencers

A tip for you, to a certain extent it doesn't matter which agent you use in terms of marketing as 99% of sales come through portals such as rightmove. Although some agents will try and tell you that they have special private databases full of clients ready to buy your home for vastly over market value.

One look on right move will show you there is VAST difference between the quality of material (mainly photos) EA's put on there. Some are very poor and amateurish and can often do a property a disservice in making it look dark and dingy. My personal favourite was a picture of a shower door which was 99% camera flash. I have also found having a floorplan to look at is very helpful.

You get what you pay for.

One look on right move will show you there is VAST difference between the quality of material (mainly photos) EA's put on there. Some are very poor and amateurish and can often do a property a disservice in making it look dark and dingy. My personal favourite was a picture of a shower door which was 99% camera flash. I have also found having a floorplan to look at is very helpful.

You get what you pay for.

I do agree, hence why I put "to a certain extent" in.

In theory rightmove is rightmove. However, you are right some agents should be ashamed of their selves with the pictures they produce.

There was a property near me recently that I looked at. It was a corporate sale(repossession). Two agents were instructed and both put separate adverts on rightmove. One agents picture of the house had wheelybins and loads of bin bags. The other agent had moved them and took a good picture.

I do have to disagree with "you get what you pay for" as the agent who took the poor photo charges a lot more. Where as the better photo was taken by the cheapest local agent in my area.

Edited by AJSanderson

• 1 month later...
I'm looking into the possibility of renting out a house. Does anyone have any recommendations or tips in doing this? I'm completely new to this

I would advise if you have never done this before you should use an agent as it is not as strait forward as it may appear.

Really, a first-time landlord ought to have proper paid-for legal advice from his/her solicitor even if intending to use a Letting Agent's services. Remember that L's legal liability (under statute and contractual) binds L and cannot be wished-away onto the Agent.