Pubs Closing Down

romeo one

It really annoys me to see Pubco's charge far too much for their services and let their competition have an easy ride by keeping their prices hiked up. How any business set up just sticks to it's greedy agenda and lets their hardworking tenants go up the wall is beyond any sensibility!

Not to mention the hardworking ones are further penalised by indirectly providing discounts to their locked up premises to reopen for trading.They are charged very low rents and the the kegs are provided for them to sell at silly prices.If all pubco tenants boycotted buying of them for a month then perhaps that should put the final lid on their coffins for good!

The word "fair" trading does not exist in their vocab!

it'd be nice to make minimum wage and avoid bankrupcy from running a pub, many pubco tied publicans in the UK aren't even doing that. I'd imagine that a free of tie publican could achieve this base level of income quite swiftly if they were competent.

very true, but it does all depend on the site too. There are still pubs which are trading that, realistically, from an accountants point of view, are completely unworkable as a business given their perhaps poor location and demographics. It is estimated that something like a staggering 70% of pubs currently (June 09 data) are merely 'ticking over' and just about breaking even, and a tiny 5% actually make any profit (real profit or paper profit is not known.) That leaves some 25% of the UK pub stock actually running at a loss, ranging from a small loss to a frightening several 1000 per week loss.... and these are the sites which close at the rate of five per day, a number set to increase to around 10 per day it is estimated if the downturn in the pub trade continues.....

advice to wannabe pub owners, dont do it unless you get a FREEHOLD and a FREE OF TIE house......any other route simply won't work at the moment....the Pub Co's will eat you alive

I think the trade will consolidate and the pubs that get it right will survive,probably not a bad thing as there are clearly to many at present.

The pub co model is not working in my experience as the pubs are typically not as good as the competition and yet they charge a premium for the pleasure of drinking there.

I think the trade will consolidate and the pubs that get it right will survive,probably not a bad thing as there are clearly to many at present.

yes, there are 50,000 pubs in the UK, far too many to survive the present crisis. I think another 30% will go in the next 3 years.....scary thought, but its highly likely it will be that way. But I don't think its a question of which pubs are 'getting it right' as it were......I think the ones that stay will be the ones who hang on the longest and wait for the rivals to go bust first......happens all the time.....eliminate the nearest competitor and you dont necessarily have to get it right, you just have to be open and trading!

I have experience of quite a few places where there are perhaps 2 pubs bang opposite or within 30 secs walk of each other, with no other obvious competition, both losing money each week, and both of which are pretty average and nothing unique about them........then one finally and suddenly overnight folds and is boarded up and the other one then goes into profit as they held out the longest....so its not always about which pubs are best, as it were, its who can put off paying the bills the longest....

yes, there are 50,000 pubs in the UK, far too many to survive the present crisis. I think another 30% will go in the next 3 years.....scary thought, but its highly likely it will be that way. But I don't think its a question of which pubs are 'getting it right' as it were......I think the ones that stay will be the ones who hang on the longest and wait for the rivals to go bust first......happens all the time.....eliminate the nearest competitor and you dont necessarily have to get it right, you just have to be open and trading!

I have experience of quite a few places where there are perhaps 2 pubs bang opposite or within 30 secs walk of each other, with no other obvious competition, both losing money each week, and both of which are pretty average and nothing unique about them........then one finally and suddenly overnight folds and is boarded up and the other one then goes into profit as they held out the longest....so its not always about which pubs are best, as it were, its who can put off paying the bills the longest....

i think this is a far too simplistic way of looking at things. if two pubs are poor, both will die off as people will choose to spend their money on other activities, all competiting for peoples decreasing disposable income (including drinking at home).

Yes, but how many new bars have opened in that time? Eg all of them on Ecclesall Rd and West St?

not that many have opened in the last 2 years I can think of.....can you name them? When I say 100 have gione I mean gone for good, not re-opened......in the areas you refer to bars close down and re-open under new name all the time....only NEW development has been PLAYERS bar I think in the last 2 years, rest have taken over older deceased bar/pub premises...

not that many have opened in the last 2 years I can think of.....can you name them? When I say 100 have gione I mean gone for good, not re-opened......in the areas you refer to bars close down and re-open under new name all the time....only NEW development has been PLAYERS bar I think in the last 2 years, rest have taken over older deceased bar/pub premises...

and Soyo, the Bowery and the Basement (which was something else before but that only opened 6 months prior to it becoming Basement and was around or less than 2 years ago).

Archived