Pubs Closing Down

romeo one

Jacosa and some more establishments between West street and Trippet Lane.All these within the last two years and some others I can't thinkoff.

I guess saving the D and R must be the only pub to strive from the old establishment in the town centre!

I'm not too familiar with history of the old boozers in the city centre!

Anyways there is still more than one boozer in the city centre and that should be good thing from the drinkers point of view.

From BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/8115264.stm

A pub landlord has said he is "gutted" after losing his business in a row over thousands of pounds of rent arrears.

David Ball and his wife Anne-Marie have been told they have 42 days to leave their bar, the Fleur de Lys, in Totley, South Yorkshire.

A court action was raised after the bar's owners said the Balls owed them more than £20,000 in rent arrears and for failing to honour a beer contract.

A judge at Sheffield Crown Court has ordered that the pub is repossessed.

Enterprise Inns said Mr and Mrs Ball had failed to buy beer through the pub company, as they were contractually bound to do.

But licensees and union representatives said the so-called "beer tie", the obligation to buy from the company who own the pub, was making it almost impossible for individual businesses to make profit.

'Costs too high'

Mr Ball, 54, and his wife were backed by union members and campaigners when they appeared at Sheffield Crown Court on Tuesday to contest a repossession order.

Judge John Bullimore ordered Mr Ball to leave the pub, but deferred any decision over financial compensation to a later date.

Mr Ball said he was "gutted" over the order and felt he had been misinformed by Enterprise Inns when he took over the lease.

"What we would really like if for Enterprise Inns to talk to us about the rent so we can move forward, rather than being chucked out," he said.

His business partner, Wayne Hodgkins, who lives at the pub with his family, said: "We broke the beer tie in November last year, simply because Enterprise's costs are far too high.

"We bought out of tie to keep the doors open - not for personal gain."

A spokeswoman for Enterprise Inns said the issue was a court matter, and they would not be making any comment.

ummm they signed up under the terms and couldnt keep up to them and broke the contract. wheres the problem?

The pubcos don't explain to prospective tennants prior to signing the contract that the drinks they're tied in on are up to 300% more expensive than if they buy them from an independent retailer and they have no real way of finding out for themselves that this is the case prior to signing. In addition prices of drinks and monthly rent soon go up even further after the tennants have been running the pub for just a short period of time.

Furthermore, if a tennant wants a particular pub/bar in a particular location (eg a prime location in a city centre or a busy thoroughfare) they have no choice but to sign the tie if that's the specific premises they want. There are precious few free of tie pubs and bars in good/busy locations that are available to purchase or lease.

The pubco-tied business model is inept, greedy and immoral and will soon be illegal. And no person deserves to be made homeless and bankrupt if they are a victim of it.

The biggest problem is when the pubcos advise prospective new tenants/lessees that the barrellage figs will be one number when in fact is will be way way way below that. Then the new owners end up with outrageous rents before they even staying paying for the grossly overpriced beer. Its a sad state of affairs which was a recently heavily critised in a BEC Enquiry. It is now going to be heard in a Competitions Consultantion in Europe....fingers crossed these companies will be banned.

The pubcos don't explain to prospective tennants prior to signing the contract that the drinks they're tied in on are up to 300% more expensive than if they buy them from an independent retailer and they have no real way of finding out for themselves that this is the case prior to signing. In addition prices of drinks and monthly rent soon go up even further after the tennants have been running the pub for just a short period of time.

Furthermore, if a tennant wants a particular pub/bar in a particular location (eg a prime location in a city centre or a busy thoroughfare) they have no choice but to sign the tie if that's the specific premises they want. There are precious few free of tie pubs and bars in good/busy locations that are available to purchase or lease.

The pubco-tied business model is inept, greedy and immoral and will soon be illegal. And no person deserves to be made homeless and bankrupt if they are a victim of it.

I understand that - surely it is up to prospective tennants to investigate this kind of thing and check the terms of the contract, perhaps even conferring with a legal expert? the pubcos aren't forcing them into signing these contracts. i agree with you the model is all wrong though, but no person should sign such life changing contracts without full investigation.

Far too many people going into running pubs without a clue. End of. We wouldn't be worried about people going into other trades with their heads up their ar**s so why are we worried about pubs. People see a sign outside saying run this pub, their little heart goes, "I could run that, it looks easy and I'm good with people" never run a business before and have no idea how hard running a pub is.

Far too many people going into running pubs without a clue. End of. We wouldn't be worried about people going into other trades with their heads up their ar**s so why are we worried about pubs. People see a sign outside saying run this pub, their little heart goes, "I could run that, it looks easy and I'm good with people" never run a business before and have no idea how hard running a pub is.

very true.

Archived