The Recession Megathread

Thought we were about due for a megathread on this as it is affecting more and more people as the weeks go by.

Everyone in my immediate family (all different sectors) are facing redundancy. No sector seems to be safe, it's all very well working for the council or signing on and being paid by the state but the thing that's been troubling me is how does the state make its money when all the private companies are collapsing. I was always under impression the UK economy was based on services, for example banking and insurance - well they've gone lady chest parts up haven't they. So what's going to happen :huh:

Since it is my belief that the world has gone mad; whatever happens will not surprise me.

I am currently looking for work having been laid off last Friday :(. No fault on my part; no funding for the project I was working on; it evaporated overnight.

I am probably going to have to travel to London or even another country to find work. As if my life is not stressful enough.

Isn't it about time the Vulcans visited earth and showed us how to live without money???

The speed of decline has been really fast.

No one seems to have any explanations as to why things changed for so many businesses literally overnight.

Unfortunately there is no sign that we have hit the bottom yet.

For some businesses who thought December was bad, January has been so much worse.

We have to hope we hit the bottom soon, but I fear we are several months away from that.

On the up side some businesses are still doing OK, but there is no pattern or explanation as to why they are OK and others are not.

Eventually it will impact everywhere. As more people are unemployed they will not be spending money, those still in employment will probably be taking a pay cut and will have less money to spend. No spending, no circulation of cash through the economy.

Archived