The Recession Megathread

I was made redundant in December and my son was made redundant last week. I don't know many families who have not been affected by redundancy in some way.

A friend of mine got a job after five years then the jobcentre were offering the restaurant staff for free so he has had his hours cut. It is hard enough without the government putting a spanner in your wheels.

What we need are wealth creating industrys to get us out of this, manifacturing etc..... sadly, its these type of companys that are going to the wall.

The only safe option these days is to work for the state, its like the USSR

Only problem is as highlighted in my first post, where will the state get it's moolah?

All our manufacturing has been outsourced :(

Mod note: Normally a megathread is started by a mod or admin when there are numerous posts or even several threads on the same subject. Usually these are reported so we can merge into one. Opening a thread with the title 'megathread' presumes its going to grow, very quickly, to gargantuan proportions.

What we need are wealth creating industrys to get us out of this, manifacturing etc..... sadly, its these type of companys that are going to the wall.

The only safe option these days is to work for the state, its like the USSR

Yeah but we cannot all work for the state... manufacturing is much cheaper in China because they can pay people peanuts to work 90 hours a week.

There is something not queit right whith the money situation,i am not clever enough to work it out but not daft enough to believe it i think the press have as usual blown it up out of all proportion and the people going bust and laying people off are doing it because its convenient and no stigma attached at this time i cannot remember a time when mfi were not in trouble but this time they go bust thats just one of several i could mention if the money has gone tell me where its gone the whole episode stinks i hope the truth will come eventualy brown says its worldwide so why is the pound suffering against the rest of the world currency "its not you dave whose got the money is it"

They should make everyone in prison work on a factory line producing something the world needs. It'll cost britain the price of a roof over their heads (which it would have paid anyway) and will make us a bit of cash. I can't imagine it being much though.

There is something not queit right whith the money situation,i am not clever enough to work it out but not daft enough to believe it i think the press have as usual blown it up out of all proportion and the people going bust and laying people off are doing it because its convenient and no stigma attached at this time i cannot remember a time when mfi were not in trouble but this time they go bust thats just one of several i could mention if the money has gone tell me where its gone the whole episode stinks i hope the truth will come eventualy brown says its worldwide so why is the pound suffering against the rest of the world currency "its not you dave whose got the money is it"

Nah... BP and Shell have it all.

Archived