The Recession Megathread

If you can't make it out the Tories lead in the polls has increased from 7% on Jan 8th to 14% on Jan 18th. I wonder why that was???

Pique and resentment. Often the devil you don't know seems more attractive than the one you do. I haven't yet seen any concrete solution from Cameron's team as to how we get out of this mess of GB's making.

There are I'm sure a lot of voters out there who would be happier to wear a hair shirt if it were imposed on them by by the Tories :D

Pique and resentment. Often the devil you don't know seems more attractive than the one you do. I haven't yet seen any concrete solution from Cameron's team as to how we get out of this mess of GB's making.

There are I'm sure a lot of voters out there who would be happier to wear a hair shirt if it were imposed on them by by the Tories :D

So what? It's realpolitik and you know that as well as the next man.

If Cameron comes up with a flawed solution, he gets ripped to shreds; if he comes up with a good one, Gordon nicks it, claims the credit and wins the next election.

Solution: keep schtum, sit back and watch Gordon drown in his own excrement.

So what? It's realpolitik and you know that as well as the next man.

If Cameron comes up with a flawed solution, he gets ripped to shreds; if he comes up with a good one, Gordon nicks it, claims the credit and wins the next election.

Solution: keep schtum, sit back and watch Gordon drown in his own excrement.

Incidentally it is quite interesting to compare the Mori poll figures from a few days ago with those at the last election. In May 2005 Mori was showing

Conservative 30%

Labour 37%

Lib/Dem 26%

The election gave this result

Conservative 32%

Labour 35%

Lib/Dem 22%

Perhaps some parties are better at getting their voters to the polls. What the polls do show is compared to 2005 Labour are down 7% and Conservative up 14%. That is one hell of a swing, and one that indicates to me that people do not have faith that the Scottish bafoon is theman to get us out of the hole he was responsible for digging.

Our economic genius AKA Prudence Brown now admits that, he didn't see it coming :gag:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/4323549/UK-Recession-Gordon-Brown-admits-he-failed-to-see-economic-crisis-coming.html

Vince Cable saw it coming and he was spot on when he called Brown

Mr Bean. With such an arrogant, incompetent to$$pot in charge, the UK looks like becoming the Zimbabwe of Europe :gag:

Our economic genius AKA Prudence Brown now admits that, he didn't see it coming :gag:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/4323549/UK-Recession-Gordon-Brown-admits-he-failed-to-see-economic-crisis-coming.html

Vince Cable saw it coming and he was spot on when he called Brown

Mr Bean. With such an arrogant, incompetent to$$pot in charge, the UK looks like becoming the Zimbabwe of Europe :gag:

Well it is easy to miss these things if you are an arogant idiot who thinks he knows better than everyone else.

This is an article from September 2006

September 13, 2006

Economic downturn continues to threaten UK

by Brian Turner

SPECIAL REPORT

The UK economy is facing continued indicators of a slowdown, against the backdrop of a general warning on the state of the Global Economy.

Key challenges facing the UK ecnoomy are the twin evils of rising inflation and rising unemployment.

Despite Tony Blair’s claim to the TUC that unemplyment figures are falling, he limited his reference to new claims for unemployment benefit - which many jobless will not qualify for.

The net result is an increase of 93,000 unemployed between May and July to 1.7 million - the highest jobless total for 6 years.

Perhaps of greater concern, though is the fact that inflation has continued above the 2% target for the fourth month in a row - now reaching 2.5%.

While people are quick to blame higher oil prices and utility bills, the Bank of England has been very slow to react to worrying economic indicators, instead suddenly putting their foot briefly on the brake in August.

The result is that in failing to raise interest rates earlier, they are now expected to have to slam on further interest rate rises later in the year.

The situation is like leaving a car to roll downhill with the brakes off, only to then start tapping the brake towards the bottom. The result of which means the length of economic correction in terms of a possible recession will almost certainly be lengthened.

The complicating factor now is that while the Bank of England face having to finally enage in a series of interest rate rises, it comes at a time of record debt and falling consumer spending. If the Bank of England wanted to invite recession they’ve made all the right moves.

Meanwhile, the property market - a key unchecked economic factor that the Bank of England should have properly addressed over the past year shows no sign of falling, with the Nationwide and Halifax both reporting a full percentile increase in property inflation over the past month.

This is at a time of record mortgage lending, continuing to exaggerate the seriousness of the debt bubble building up in the UK.

The overall picture is therefore one in which the UK faces an unsettling near-future, as interest rate rises become increasingly inevitable later in the year - and all to be laid down on an economy with a decreasing workforce, increasing debt, and weaker consumer spending.

Earlier in the year Platinax predicted the UK to have already begun an economic downturn - one that by all accounts, is already very much building up momentum.

I have to agree that it must be time to start getting worried about unemployment levels, I mean we've now just reached the levels they were in 1997 when the Tories were having some of their better performance in this area.

So despite it being the worst of any point during Labours term n office, it is still better than the best point during the Tories tenure.

scary,very scary!

I have to agree that it must be time to start getting worried about unemployment levels, I mean we've now just reached the levels they were in 1997 when the Tories were having some of their better performance in this area.

So despite it being the worst of any point during Labours term n office, it is still better than the best point during the Tories tenure.

scary,very scary!

And what about the debt levels being 4 times higher than 1997. Now that is scary. Why don't you try taking your head out of the sand and think about this instead of posting the same old crap ad infinitum.

And what about the debt levels being 4 times higher than 1997. Now that is scary. Why don't you try taking your head out of the sand and think about this instead of posting the same old crap ad infinitum.

What's wrong with you, don't you care about the Unemployed then?

Archived