Does anyone remember the old sheffield and district billiards league ?

lakerman

Seffers was probably the best player in Sheffield during the 40s and 50s and was a bus driver I believe.

Dont forget Ken Phelan who was a great friend (if I remember correctly) of Jack Seffers.

I also remember Jimmy Dunce? of the Darnall Liberal club in the 1950/60s who was a very good billiard player.

In those days If I remember correctly, Darnall Libs and Idsworth rd club attracted the best snooker players. A few of the names from the Darnall Libs, Vic Derbyshire, Charley Barratt, Roy Curry, Brian Bates, Ken Peacock, first names forgotten on these, ,Wilson, Bower brothers, Over 45 years since I was in the Darnall Libs maybe my memory is not so bad after all.

alankearn :- You are right. Your memory is not so bad. A few names there to remember.

Roy Curry is still around, I see him quite often. Most of the others you mention have gone now. The Darnall Libs is still holding on, but only just. Like so many clubs these days.

Ken Phelan was the first bloke I played snooker with on a regular basis.

When I was just starting to play he would give me 100 points start over two frames of snooker (aggregate scores). We would play for a Shilling. As I improved he would knock the start down. I never ever got anywhere near good enough for me to play him off scratch though. Although I did play for Firth Park for many years (Idsworth Road).

If Ken had have been around today, he would surely have turned pro.

Ken Phelan also played billiards (as did many other good snooker players of that era) but he never seemed all that interested in billiards. Jack Seffers was the same.

When I started to play billiards, one of the best players around (probably the best in South Yorks) was Eddie Birkenhead. He was some billiards player. I remember a friend of mine saying to me that he was taking up billiards and was playing with Eddie on a regular basis. A few weeks later I asked him how the billiards was going and he said "I've packed it in. Eddie only wanted someone to keep spotting the balls up and taking them out of the bags, nobody else would play with him because they had so few shots during a game. " Another excellent player was Len (Les) Dalton. I played with him in the Sheffield And District Tetley Pairs for a couple of years. He was a lovely fellow who sadly died quite young. His son , David, was also a good player who went on to play for Sheffield at snooker.

There are many many more whom I could go on about all day, but If anyone else can remember some of them let me know.

Some great billiards and snooker names of the past have been mentioned, like Jack Seffers, Ken Phelan, etc. And then, of course, there was Bert Almond. Anyone got any biographical info on any of these lads, like a list of what they won and where they came from, who they played for, etc? It would make for a great slice of local sporting history!

Some great billiards and snooker names of the past have been mentioned, like Jack Seffers, Ken Phelan, etc. And then, of course, there was Bert Almond. Anyone got any biographical info on any of these lads, like a list of what they won and where they came from, who they played for, etc? It would make for a great slice of local sporting history!

bert almond and his brother [think his name was eddie]were sheffield champions ,they had a pub in sheffield , the son of one of them had a bar in can pastilla majorca , one day out of the blue I walked in and saw photos of loads of old sheffield player on the wall , including my old pal vic derbyshire , god bless him . had a good chat with the landlord [son] about the old days of sheffield snooker .

Eddie Birkenhead was still playing in the league in the 80's. Although his eyesite was failing him a little, he was still brilliant.

Others playing then were Ronny Reed (Darnall), Edward? Ball (Burngreave)...both good players.

Lakerman, I belive it was Les Dalton you referred to.

I guess we must know each other, as I was another average (or below average) player.

• 3 years later...

I used to play in the late 70's and early 80's. I played for Woodseats Social Club, we had some great seasons and met some decent people. We had one great season when we won almost everything, league and cup etc. I won the Marshall Bowl that year. Does anyone know if all the old history is logged anywhere, I would love to go over all the past league and trophy winners.

These were very different times to today, I doubt if anyone would have the same enthusiasm as we had then.

Archived