Growing up in Gleadless Valley

gvalley

I started this thread because I have fond memories of Gleadless and the people that lived there and wanted others to share their happy memories. If you haven't got anything better to do than slag people off I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find a thread or a site or something that welcomes whingers.

Meanwhile...all this snow reminds me of how bad it used to snow when were kids..used to sledge down the hill from the Holy Cross church off the wall..across Spotswood Rd and get nearly all the way to Blackstock Road. The worse bit was having to climb all the way back up the hill to do it all again.was BRILL!!!

god the snow used to be to thick then, and it stayed for days and days and days. used to go on the hill near the back field at the back of our house. if you got going really well you could smash into the railings at the bottom next to wood. also used to go right at the bottom near the garages.

is great to see kids out playing in the snow like we used to. only thing they do nowadays with any similarity to our childhood.

and yes the walk back up the hills was brill. laughing all the way up and all red in the face and breathless. best times

• 1 month later...

When we first moved on to the valley in 61 the old toll house was still standing at the top of the gleadless road hill opposite sands close that is where toll bar got its name from, not sure where the myrtle springs name came from but there used to be allotments over the top of the quarry, the quarry as it is now used to be as deep again before it was filled in when the road got straightened, then 671 the home was built after the wmc and the flats either side were added later.

Fascinating thread.

I was born in Gaunt Road, in the upstairs bedroom of one of the now demolished maisonettes overlooing the golf course and 'The Bean' (or more rightly, 't'beyn') We moved in 1963 to Constable Drive (council move for expanding family) I spent the next 16 years growing up on t'Valley.

I went to Hemsworth County Primary and my first class was Mrs Wilson. Miss Hill (who " ... swallowed a pill, half as big as a windowsill") was the headmistress, a stern looking, but quite sweet lady with a big nose. Real twinset and pearls character. The following year we had Mrs Vickers (who "had pink knickers" - we never corroborated this rumour) and again Mrs Vickers in the final year of Primary. The class was filled with superb scamps and tricksters - Stanley Pete being one of them. I think he was a fairground kid, and we often had Shufflebottom kids frequenting when the fair was there as well. I remember going through the adjoining doorway at the back of the dinner hall to the Junior School. We were terrified. In there I joined Mrs Ibbotson's class (lovely woman) and the second year was Mrs Beal, who was a horrid piece of work. Then again, so were we. The third year was spent with Mr Ibbertson (no relation) who was a diminutive, inspirational and wholly kind bloke with specs and a brown Hitler 'tache. He ran the stamp club. Then, finally I spent my last year with Mr Turville, the only bloke in the school who would dish out the cane. I know. I had it stacks of times. 'Monitor?' he would say to Karen Howe, his 'pet'. 'Fetch my cane.' Mr Crossley, a massive, lumbering Reg Holdsworthalike was the headmaster. We used to call him 'bubbleneck'. He was always full of philosphical statements - 'Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you'll feed him for life' was one I took with me. I didn't know what it meant back then.

Playtime was ace, but you couldn't play on the fire escape, in the bushes in front of the school yard or up by the boiler house. Some bright spark brought some marbles into school in 1972 and that became the game of choice for the next few years between the drain hole covers at the bottom of the yard. Occasionally a Wembley Trophy football would appear in the yard and a game of Wedneday vs United would strike up (you could have three simultaneous games of football going on in the boys yard at the same time across what was effectively tennis court markings.) The Trophy's were okay as long as no one booted them into the thorn bushes at the front of the school, whereby they duly popped. A scrap broke out in '73 between Neil Beech and Kevin Allen in the yard over football and Crossley effectively banned it for the next year. We were gutted.

School games - yeah, there was 'athletics' (sack race, egg and spoon and the 60 yard sprint on the sports day and you could chance you arm amongst the dog turds in the sandpit if you felt brave) but the master game was indeed football, the team managed by the moribund Mr Deakin. Ant Riley's dad pulled a flanker at his works and got us some pipework which were painted and made into goals (no nets, like) and our team became quite unbeatable, with superstars like Ant Riley, Kev Fenlon, Kevin Allen, Steve Newall, Sean Simpson, Mark Bell, David Turner, Andy Gray, Mark Ullyett, and Wallace Chambers all turning out for us in one way or another. We beat Philimore Road school once 9-0 and I, in goal, never touched the ball once during the game. Seem to remember us playing a 6 a side turnament at Bankwood as well and coming back with the silverware from that.

More reminisces later, methinks.

PC Drive

ps: Cheers to PW for chronological points

no,its DIANE bingham i knew,lived on ironside road,judith? would she be about 43 now???if so ,i also know her.

yes, Diane definitely lived on Ironside Road, we were friends when we were kids, my mum and her mum were good friends, too. and Yes, she'll be 43 ish now.

Archived