Growing up in Gleadless Valley

gvalley

David was nicknamed "Dusty" and was in my class in Hemsworth Juniors, Michael was the youngest I think, and the sister was Christine. A blast from the past!

Christine was in my class at Hemsworth. It was a bit tragic that she was always ostracised as being 'dirty' and always a bit of a loner. It was bull****, of course, typical kids marginalising the weaker members of the class. People used to 'tig' each other with 'Brewy stink, no last tigs'. Dusty was a reyt lad though.

PC Drive

I don't remember Christine being "dirty" --- unless you know something I don't !!!

She wasn't. It was typical kids, marginalising other kids. I look back now and shudder at the level of cruelty meted out by the kids. Christine was a typical, normal lass (bad handwriting, though ... although if you had learning difficulties in them day you just took the beatings from the teachers!) who didn't have a lot of friends she could count on. Every day must have been a living hell for her. Like I say, it wasn't nice. The allusion was that she was from a seriously poor background and didn't wash or stuff. True, she didn't dress in the world's finest - who did back then? There were many families moved onto the Valley from deprived backgrounds ...

I look back now and feel ashamed to have witnessed it and not done anything about it.

EDIT> Trev Fox? Ginger hair? Wednesdayite? Footballer? We used to play football in Herdings Park with him, the Wheatleys, Steve Edwards, Kev and Mick Fenlon, Craig Schemeld, The Lindleys, Herbert Brooks. Most of these ended up in the Cutlers Arms Juniors and then Morland Juniors. We used to get pasted, week in, week out.

PC Drive

• 10 months later...
You guy's should check out the other Gleadless Valley link on here.

I also lived in the maisonettes by the 'Wyvern' and the big tree.

Michael (Boyce) and Carol were, and still are, 2 of my oldest and best friends. Keith Gooden was also a friend as well as Mick Merril, David Clayton, the Moyses girls and the Gratton's etc.

Quite a few of us got together for a mini reunion last year in the Wyvern.

There was Michael and Carol, Janet and Clare Boyce, Toni Carnall, Laurie Moyses, Tony Slack, one of the Gibson girls, Dawn Watkinson and Sarah Malone to name a few.

Later

Chris

We moved to Gleadless in 1969.I went first to Herdings and then to Ashleigh.

We lived at 96 Spring Close Mount next to the Kennedys.

It was a great place to live I have many good memories.

I left England in 1985 and travelled alot.

I am now living in the Netherlands in Amsterdam.

When I saw the name Laurie Moyses that started bells ringing.I had a crush on her for a along time probably the first romantic feelings I ever had !

Does she still live in Gleadless?

Anyone remember or know what happened to Alan Kennedy and his brother Jim?

Keith will be 47 this year. He was in my year at GVSS (1979 leavers).

PC Drive

He was in my class at infant school at Bankwood (then Rollestone) .....I went home with his anorak once, and he with mine (by accident).....it was really funny :hihi: :hihi:

• 1 month later...

Archived