Growing up in Gleadless Valley

gvalley

jeez you not that old Paul, surely. congrats on the grandchildren tho. times flies doesnt it. my mum and dad still live on the valley. dont think they'll ever move now. I live out at barlborough now. lot different from gleadless.

Who remembers the funfairs that used to come to Oakes Park (Bagshaw's land) opposite the Norton Water Tower in the 60s?

As well as the usual rides and fruit machines, in the early years they also had a freak show, boxing competition and even a striptease show.

By law the women in the strip show weren't allow to move so they used the tableau vivant method, which was very staid and tame by today's standards, but seemed very racy at the time.

In fact the whole thing seemed exciting and exotic to us 14 year-olds back then and we'd hang around the fairground for hours, making a few bob last all night and somehow still managing to buy a hot dog on the way home.

• 4 months later...

I cannot remember the name of the family who ran the greengrocers shop on the parade. I remember the son who was called Alan. he must be in his sixties now, at least? the mother , the father and son alll worked hard in the shop. (PT 2004)

Was that Simpson's? And in the same shopping strip there was Austins the butchers who made the BEST Cornish pasties. Or was that a different shopping strip?

Lived in the maisonettes on Spotswood Close about '68 to '75. Great place to grow up, sledges in winter, trolleys in summer and if you got fed up of that there was grass-slides, scotch-arrow throwing in the open fields or rope-swings in the woods. Never a dull moment.

Remember walking up the hill to Ashleigh, sometimes via the quarry.

At Ashleigh if you arrived late you had to sign-in the 'late book', usual thing, name, class, time etc...and reason for lateness where Mel Webster once wrote, 'slippy quarry'. He had that as his nickname for years.

You can't make-up stuff like that.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I found some developed negatives in a drum I bought at a charity shop. I have had them scanned in and cleaned up the images as they were quite damaged in part. I am trying to find the couple whose wedding it was. It was in Sheffield, UK. Early 70s probably. Get in contact with me twitter @andowjames or here if you have any clues or people to contact.

'BoopBoop' or Lisa has been in contact via Sheffield forum. She has evidently shown the pictures to her mother whose maiden name was Dorothy Woodhead.

Dorothy thinks that she recognises one of the female wedding guests. If Dorothy is right then the guest in question is a Janet Colton (maiden name) who used to live on Constable Close in Gleadless Valley sometime before 1973. Apparently Janet would be in her mid- to late-sixties now. Dorothy is not 100% sure. However, she has a photograph of Janet somewhere and once it is found will be back in contact.

This is the photo

Mystery wedding pics

I cannot remember the name of the family who ran the greengrocers shop on the parade. I remember the son who was called Alan. he must be in his sixties now, at least? the mother , the father and son alll worked hard in the shop. (PT 2004)

Was that Simpson's? And in the same shopping strip there was Austins the butchers who made the BEST Cornish pasties. Or was that a different shopping strip?

I have had a bit of a flash of lightning :-I seem to recall the name of the family who own/ owned the greengrocers was Hartley.

I suspect it's a different set of shops you are thinking about.

edit to add...

Blimey! it'd already been established that the family's name was Hartley, there's a post from 3 1/2 years ago from me about it! deary, deary me!. apologies!

I have had a bit of a flash of lightning :-I seem to recall the name of the family who own/ owned the greengrocers was Hartley.

I suspect it's a different set of shops you are thinking about.

edit to add...

Blimey! it'd already been established that the family's name was Hartley, there's a post from 3 1/2 years ago from me about it! deary, deary me!. apologies!

Yes it was Hartley, the son who worked in the shop was called Alan!

Archived