Growing up in Gleadless Valley

gvalley

I have put some GV pics on Friends Reunited,I borrowed some old Kite Magazines (The old School Mag) and scanned some pictures from that.Unfortunately you would probably have to subscribe to FR to see them.

...ok , i will try and get to see them ! Thanks .

p.s , i was at GV school from 74-78

And i was there 1973 - 1978, I went up to GV school just before it got knocked down, they opened it up for all ex-pupils to have a walk around, the weird part was that seemed so much smaller than I remember as a lad!

I was from 72 - 76 so must be slightly older than you.

You ought to have a look,there are even some pictures of the Teachers, Mr Bradley, Mr Green (Fly) and some of the Gym and some external shots round the bike sheds.

I do have a picture of me and my cousin sat on the wall outside the shops on Constable road but not of the actual shops.

I also have some Council taken pictures of the Library on Blackstock rd that I will add to the Flickr page, it all looks very new as the shops to the left are not even built.

the lady in picture u03165 is Mrs Innocent she was a friend of my Mums and lived on Ironside Close the same as me.

...during my time at GV school (74-78) the teachers i can recall are ..

Mr Lamb (Head)

Mr Cooper - spot (dep head boys)

Miss Johnson (dep head girls)

Miss Barnaby ( French)

Mr Bradley (maths)

Mr Pashley (chemistry) - had bad accident rock climbing , and came back with bald head after skull injury

Mr Pashley (art)

Mr Howe (geography)

Mr Green - fly ( PE )

Mr Simpson - bottleneck - (metalwork)

Mr Moffatt (woodwork and Tech Drawing)

Miss Foster (History)

Mr H... (Religion)

Mr Martin (library) also a special copper at weekends down at Brammall Lane

Mrs Wilson (English)

.....hopefully i may be reminded of more with any replies ! ;)

ps , .. i also worked the projector in assembly for the words of the songs we had to sing !!!!

Ah how the memories flood back,get Bottleneck on about cars and that was the tech drawing lesson out of the window,he used to give lads a couple on the backside with a 3 foot steel ruler if you messed about in woodwork,imagine that today.There was another teacher who used to throw the board rubber at you and pick you up by your sideburns, God they would be locked up now.I seem to remember that it it was a popular myth that Miss johnson would jump off a chair as she gave the cane to the girls which seems a little ludicrous 35 years on.Mr Pashley (art) was our form tutor and if I rememer correctly a little deaf and wore a hearing aid so some of the nastier element used to pretend to bang on the desks and talk in a low voice so he would turn it up and then shout in it a loud as they could when they got up close to him - nice!

I also remember Mr Martin spitting his false teeth out in a class as he was acting a part in a book and someone in was spitting. I have heard from other sources that this was a common occurrence.

Archived