Growing up in Gleadless Valley

gvalley

Originally posted by sezemeseeds

Originally posted by basherbriggs

I moved to Gleadless Valley when I was six months old.

I moved out of Gleadless Valley 11 years ago but have returned to work in the area

I went to Bankwood and remember Mrs Moore. Remember the ring on her finger! She used to push it in to your back if she got a chance! Remember being in awe of Miss Woofinden. Mrs Cutts was headmistress of the infant school and Mr Roberts headmaster of the juniors. Was such a good school.

Also remember Newfield Shops being different shops. Hammonds though has been there since I was at Bankwood, a mere 26 years ago. Does anyone remember when Gleadless Medical Centre was the original building with the long seats and Dr Bacon and Dr Blindt. I loved growing up in Gleadless. Was safe and fun. Such a sorry state now. Have family still there. Shame on the people now who don't give a damn where they live and how Gleadless Valley once was an award winning estate. Where did the days go.

Dr Ross-Smith was actually the senior partner that set up Gleadless Medical Cetre. He and Dr Blindt delivered my second child at home in Gleadless Road. Dr Ross-Smith's surgery prior to that was opposite the co-op on Gleadless Road.

• 9 months later...

I'm just wondering whether or not some of the people I knew from the Gleadless Valley Estate might participate in or visit this site? The time would have been circa 1957-61. Some names that spring to mind are Lawrence Burlison, Martin Baulby, Edmund Harvey (who later emigrated to Australia and who I hear from occasionally), Janet Bonsall, Roy Bonsall (Janet's little brother), Graham Pinder, and Phillip Selkirk (who I believe passed away some years ago).

I lived with my mother and younger sister, Elaine, at 41 Ironside Road. My sister, Glenda, and my brother, Rex, also moved in with us for a while. The estate was still in the process of being built at that time. I remember a lot of good times there and I'd love to hear from others who might remember those times.

Originally posted by caramac55

my mother and father came from gleadless valley, when I see him i'll ask him to come up with some names from that period. his name is Barton and my mothers maiden name was Judson. will get back with more names when I can.

I don't recall those particular names but they may know some of the ones I mentioned. Thanks very much, caramac, and I'll appreciate any effort you can make.

By the way, should I find out that I never really did have any friends ...will YOU be my friend? ;)

On Ironside Road, there wwere the Swains, and the Potts.

There was the young lady who was convicted of murdering her abusive father in the midle-ish 1960's... I forget her name, but she used to babysit for me when I was a tiny tot... she lived just near the Potts's.

PT

Archived