Growing up in Gleadless Valley

gvalley

A pal of mine called Paul Lowe used to live up Ironside Road in the 60's and 70's in some maisonettes.

he went to work in Peterborough and started his own heating business. He and his mother moved up there when the syarted the demolition in Heeley.

Do you remember them at all? Ilost contact with them years ago

Thanks for all of the responses but I haven't recognized any names yet. Worse still ...no one has come forward to admit that they knew me! Please keep the posts coming, however. Lawrence (Lol) Burlison is one person who I would love to hear from as he and I were bosom buddies. Well ...maybe not.

Y'know ...This is a real bitter pill to swallow. I always thought that I'd become somewhat a legend in the Gleadless Valley area circa 1960. I mean ...I wore a James Dean jacket, I sported what I thought was an Elvis Presley haircut, I walked around toting a guitar as often as possible, I even wore the collar of my shirt up while whistling the latest Buddy Holly tunes. How could anyone NOT have noticed me? Oh my. How quickly the mighty (if only in their minds) topple. :heyhey:

• 7 months later...

Can anyone remember Gleadless Valley, most of all the "John O' Gaunt" pub, also Mathews Lane School, which we all went to when the estate was first built, ive fond memories of this estate, i went to live there when i was 8 yrs and left when i got married at 22yrs, also went to Herdings Youth Club, oh what a time we had there!!, sorry if this has allready been talked about :thumbsup: ps i lived on Ironside Road byeee:smile:

for some reason me smilies arent coming up (im new on here) Surrr

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Thanks for all of the responses but I haven't recognized any names yet. Worse still ...no one has come forward to admit that they knew me! Please keep the posts coming, however. Lawrence (Lol) Burlison is one person who I would love to hear from as he and I were bosom buddies. Well ...maybe not.

Y'know ...This is a real bitter pill to swallow. I always thought that I'd become somewhat a legend in the Gleadless Valley area circa 1960. I mean ...I wore a James Dean jacket, I sported what I thought was an Elvis Presley haircut, I walked around toting a guitar as often as possible, I even wore the collar of my shirt up while whistling the latest Buddy Holly tunes. How could anyone NOT have noticed me? Oh my. How quickly the mighty (if only in their minds) topple. :heyhey:

hi ijust asking do you remember the brussels lived on ironside two brothers micheal and david i think there mother used to have a yorkie dog

Archived