Growing up in Gleadless Valley

gvalley

hi ijust asking do you remember the brussels lived on ironside two brothers micheal and david i think there mother used to have a yorkie dog

David was nicknamed "Dusty" and was in my class in Hemsworth Juniors, Michael was the youngest I think, and the sister was Christine. A blast from the past!

A pal of mine called Paul Lowe used to live up Ironside Road in the 60's and 70's in some maisonettes.

he went to work in Peterborough and started his own heating business. He and his mother moved up there when the syarted the demolition in Heeley.

Do you remember them at all? Ilost contact with them years ago

Small world innit? I live near Peterborough and Paul was in partnership with Stan Davey, formerly from Heeley and who lived in my village. I used to have the occasional drink with the two of them. The business is still running although I think Stan must have retired as he will be about 70 now.

i know michael brussell!!!!

hi michelley i have sent you a private message but i don tknow if you recieved it as i have not sent one before if you have i am sorry for repeating myself i just wanted to say hello to micheal if you see him would you tell him june and cyril send there love all my kids are grown up now but`t they were very fond of micheal he used to babysit for me love june

• 4 weeks later...
My honorary uncle, Ron, was actually the driver of that crane-lorry!

IIRC, the incident happened because the road was very narrow, and the machinery was very long.

As the crane lorry was backing out of the site, the wheels went onto the grass which was wet after rainfall.

"Purchase" was lost by the drive wheels, and the lorry slipped down the steep banking, and into the house. of course, this being gleadless valley, there were not many places where the land did not fall away at a steep angle!

(I wonder if the repaired brickwork is still noticeable? I lived in the maisonettes further along the road, and I had actually forgotten about this incident!)

I LIVE IN THAT HOUSE NOW & YES THE NEW BRICK WORK IS STILL NOTICEABLE. I USED TO LIVE ACROSS THE ROAD IN THE MAISONETTES WHEN IT HAPPENED!!!!!!

Originally posted by basherbriggs

I moved to Gleadless Valley when I was six months old.

I moved out of Gleadless Valley 11 years ago but have returned to work in the area

I went to Bankwood and remember Mrs Moore. Remember the ring on her finger! She used to push it in to your back if she got a chance! Remember being in awe of Miss Woofinden. Mrs Cutts was headmistress of the infant school and Mr Roberts headmaster of the juniors. Was such a good school.

Also remember Newfield Shops being different shops. Hammonds though has been there since I was at Bankwood, a mere 26 years ago. Does anyone remember when Gleadless Medical Centre was the original building with the long seats and Dr Bacon and Dr Blindt. I loved growing up in Gleadless. Was safe and fun. Such a sorry state now. Have family still there. Shame on the people now who don't give a damn where they live and how Gleadless Valley once was an award winning estate. Where did the days go.

IREMEMBER THE DOCTORS LIKE THAT. I ALWAYS REMEMBER THE GARDEN IN A BOTTLE IN THE WAITING ROOM FOR SOME REASON!!!!!

Dr. Blindt was my doctor when I was a little lad, seemed a real trek from the John O Gaunt but he was much nicer than the one at the top of Blackstock Road near the nailmakers pub.

I was under the care of that doctor near the Nailmakers from being born, to the age of 9 or 10. He could be very brusque. His bedside manner was definitely lacking something. I remember when my sister and I got measles, he did a house-call. I had come down with measles first.

My mother had done the traditional thing back then, with measles, which was that she'd pulled the curtains, and dimmed the lights. (something to do with protecting my eyes?)

He tore a strip off my mother, deriding and berating her, and yanked all the curtains open. (Miserable old so-and-so!)

So, when, about a week later, as I was recovering from my bout of measles, my little sister came down with them, my mother put in for another house-call.

My mother, remembering the dressing-down he'd given her, for dimming the lights for me, when I was ill, didn't bother doing it, for my sister.

He arrived, took one look at my sister, and played hell-up with my mother.. "why hadn't she dimmed the lights!!! etc, etc!"

My mother said "Whoa!!! hang on.. hold your horses!!! when my eldest was ill, with the measles, last week, you went mad at me for closing the curtains, yet now, you're playing hell with me for NOT closing them!! I can't blo*dy-well win here!"

It turned out that I had not managed to get the measles in my eyes, but my younger sister, (Who always managed to catch whatever was going, and get it with complications!) had got them in her eyes.

Still, there was no call for him to lay into my mum in that way.

Archived