Growing up in Gleadless Valley

gvalley

I cannot rememebr the name of the family who ran the greengrocers shop on the parade. I remember the son who was called Alan. he must be in his sixties now, at least? the mother , the father and son alll worked hard in the shop. :)PT

the family name is Hartley and they are still working hard in the shop!!!!

i have only lived in the area for about 10 years so do not have any long memories of the place. some nice pictures of the area on gleadless.net. my wife went to herding first & junior school and has lived at herdings/gleadless since 1980.

we live in ironside at the side of the woods (the 'lumb' i believe the council have named our part)

the family name is Hartley and they are still working hard in the shop!!!!

i have only lived in the area for about 10 years so do not have any long memories of the place. some nice pictures of the area on gleadless.net. my wife went to herding first & junior school and has lived at herdings/gleadless since 1980.

we live in ironside at the side of the woods (the 'lumb' i believe the council have named our part)

that bit has always been known as "the lumb" for as long as I can remember.

I was at the methodist church, a few months ago, for a friend's funeral, and I needed a can of pop, as I was very thirsty, and called to Hartley's shop for it. Alan's son(s) was (were) working in the shop, and their aunt was also there. what a "blast from the past" that was!!

that bit has always been known as "the lumb" for as long as I can remember.

I was at the methodist church, a few months ago, for a friend's funeral, and I needed a can of pop, as I was very thirsty, and called to Hartley's shop for it. Alan's son(s) was (were) working in the shop, and their aunt was also there. what a "blast from the past" that was!!

nice family. usually busy in there. shame that the shop is so small

What a trip down memory lane ... I lived in Gleadless ( Middle Hay area) from 1969 to 1982 - went to Bankwood and Ashleigh Schools - remember it being a lovely place to grow up - always somewhere new to explore - lots of trees to climb and places to rollerskate and ride your bike....Did lots of climbing up the quarry on Gleadless road. Everyone seemed to know each other on our road and I particularly remember a community party we had for the Queens silver jubilee....Happy days indeed.

• 1 year later...

A big bump for this thread but I've only just spotted this post - fascinating as Dr Robinson ("Robbo" - not liked but sort of respected as an authority figure) was my doctor until the very late 80's/early 90's. Yes, a miserable old git but loads of memories...

His horrible old waiting room (a converted living room) with parquet floor and a tatty old heater. Rows and rows of hard brown chairs. Full of ill people, not speaking and miserably waiting their turn. No queue system - you waiting for the inevitable "buzzzzzzz" and had to remember who was next.

He kept a cigarette dispenser on his desk. That isn't even believable today!

He told me I had a minor sprain in 1987 when I'd actually broken my wrist, and took great joy some other time in nearly cutting my big toe off (a bit of an overreaction to an ingrowing toe nail).

He went and retired in the early 90's to be replaced with the excellent Dr Weir (who my mum fancied). He transformed the place, a great bloke and it was a sad day when he moved on.

I was under the care of that doctor near the Nailmakers from being born, to the age of 9 or 10. He could be very brusque. His bedside manner was definitely lacking something. I remember when my sister and I got measles, he did a house-call. I had come down with measles first.

My mother had done the traditional thing back then, with measles, which was that she'd pulled the curtains, and dimmed the lights. (something to do with protecting my eyes?)

He tore a strip off my mother, deriding and berating her, and yanked all the curtains open. (Miserable old so-and-so!)

So, when, about a week later, as I was recovering from my bout of measles, my little sister came down with them, my mother put in for another house-call.

My mother, remembering the dressing-down he'd given her, for dimming the lights for me, when I was ill, didn't bother doing it, for my sister.

He arrived, took one look at my sister, and played hell-up with my mother.. "why hadn't she dimmed the lights!!! etc, etc!"

My mother said "Whoa!!! hang on.. hold your horses!!! when my eldest was ill, with the measles, last week, you went mad at me for closing the curtains, yet now, you're playing hell with me for NOT closing them!! I can't blo*dy-well win here!"

It turned out that I had not managed to get the measles in my eyes, but my younger sister, (Who always managed to catch whatever was going, and get it with complications!) had got them in her eyes.

Still, there was no call for him to lay into my mum in that way.

Have just trawled through this post, fascinating.

Plain Talker, the house on the site of St John's is actually the vicarage for the Holy Cross church. Very plush it is too. I went in it to see the vicar prior to our blessing ( remember me mentioning that last year ? ).

The tower houses mentioned may seem strange to an outsider, but the bloke who invented them must have been a genius. 4 houses connected together, all at different heights, and so-designed that the only time you here your neighbours is if you are on your stairs at the same time as they are on their's,

or if you are on the loo, as both the living kitchen and the room are built on the outside corner of each house ...... ingenious.

I've lived in mine since '79 so I must like them !!!!!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm just wondering whether or not some of the people I knew from the Gleadless Valley Estate might participate in or visit this site? The time would have been circa 1957-61. Some names that spring to mind are Lawrence Burlison, Martin Baulby, Edmund Harvey (who later emigrated to Australia and who I hear from occasionally), Janet Bonsall, Roy Bonsall (Janet's little brother), Graham Pinder, and Phillip Selkirk (who I believe passed away some years ago).

I lived with my mother and younger sister, Elaine, at 41 Ironside Road. My sister, Glenda, and my brother, Rex, also moved in with us for a while. The estate was still in the process of being built at that time. I remember a lot of good times there and I'd love to hear from others who might remember those times.

Hiya i lived on Ironside road and i do remember although vaguely Janet and Roy Bonsall, im 61 my brothers were Dougie Ruston and Stewert, and Ian. :)

Archived