Do You Use Contact Lenses?

To cut a long story short. Im 20 years old and Im looking into learning to drive however there is a big problem which is im severely short sighted has anyone else had this problem and managed to pass there driving test with contacts in?? The reason I ask is because im looking at getting some contacts but im just abit wiery because if I find out ill never be able to drive it will break my heart partly because of the driving but partly because of the money spent.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

HI Location,

I know someone who wears contacts for driving. He says he managed okay, but there are a few things you should consider;

Have a back-up pair of glasses you can wear while driving if you can't wear your contacts or if you've suddenly lost a lens. Pull over as soon as you can to put them on if you have problems with the contacts.

You must let DMV know you wear contacts when you get your license. There should be something on your license about corrective lenses.

Mention to your eye doctor about driving at night with them.

Eyes are more sensitive to light when wearing contacts, so you'll probably have to consider wearing sunglasses more often during the day.

Also make sure you blink frequently to keep the contacts moist and avoid any problems with them drying up whilst on the road.

Finally, GOOD LUCK with your lessons and of course your test !!!!!!

P.S. Remember , if you really need to you could always just get some glasses......

To cut a long story short. Im 20 years old and Im looking into learning to drive however there is a big problem which is im severely short sighted has anyone else had this problem and managed to pass there driving test with contacts in?? The reason I ask is because im looking at getting some contacts but im just abit wiery because if I find out ill never be able to drive it will break my heart partly because of the driving but partly because of the money spent.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

How severely short-sighted? I have a prescription of -10 in both eyes and have been wearing contact lenses and driving for 25 years now. As long as the lenses bring your vision up to the required standard, you should have no problem.

I wear contacts every day, and I drive every day. The only legal stipulation is that if you need eyesight correction to pass, you must wear it when you drive, but it doesn't matter if it is glasses, contacts or laser surgery.

I passed in glasses, but now drive perfectly legally in lenses.

im -12.75 in one eye and -13.00 in the other i passed my test 14 years ago now, i drive wearing contacts, took my test wearing contacts but mostly drive in my glasses. a good idea would be to measure the 67 feet distance and keep testing yourself, thats what i did cos i worried id fail on the nmber plate reading...but when i got past that the rest of the test seemed easy cos i thought i cannot fail cos i dont want to go through the number plate reading again.

plus a sneaky thing to do is go and hang round the test center where you'd take your test and watch where the examiners ask the drivers to read the plates from.

Archived