Do You Use Contact Lenses?

• 1 year later...

Firstly I know this is such a old thread but anyway ive took the next step and got some contacts im on my free trial now problem is im finding it abit difficult to put em in and take them out my left eye is easy enough but i cant seem to stop blinking with my right eye so i was wondering if anyone could help me find an easier way.

Wow - it took you a long time to get lenses!

Only way to get used to them is to practice. Sounds like the right lens is inside out to me. Or got a bit of fluff in it. Move it towards the edge of your eye and blink until it re-centres. Usually clears most muck in a few goes - but if it really hurts rather than is a bit of a bother, take the lens out straight away and clean it.

I know it did yes.

Erm do you know how to tell if the lens is inside out? ive only just started using them so im abit lets say rubbish at the moment.

Wow - it took you a long time to get lenses!

Only way to get used to them is to practice. Sounds like the right lens is inside out to me. Or got a bit of fluff in it. Move it towards the edge of your eye and blink until it re-centres. Usually clears most muck in a few goes - but if it really hurts rather than is a bit of a bother, take the lens out straight away and clean it.

I can usually tell if my lens is inside out because I can't see properly from that eye and it irritates my eye like hell! Plus if you look at the lens on the end of your finger sometimes you can see that it's not curved round properly and looks flipped out.

Hope that makes sense!

I have worn hard and latterly gas permeable contact lenses for 33 years and passed my driving test (first time) wearing contacts.

I find it very difficult to drive wearing my glasses as they magnify everything so much that I find it difficult to judge widths and distances - hence, I don't wear my glasses to drive!

I took all my lessons and passed my test wearing NHS-prescribed hard contact lenses, which I had been wearing since age 13. Because of my condition, glasses are not suitable to treat it. One of my eyes is also next to useless, even with a lens in it. My optician says that nobody is really sure why we have two eyes ; he thinks it might be because as we were evolving it turned out we needed a spare in case one gets blinded in an accident.

you have to be very severely short sighted not to pass the driving test eyesight test. It's not like the test for being an airplane pilot. It doesn't matter with 98% of people whether your sight is corrected with glasses or contacts for driving.

I've been wearing contacts for so long, glasses are useless and I don't bother with them at all.

I know it did yes.

Erm do you know how to tell if the lens is inside out? ive only just started using them so im abit lets say rubbish at the moment.

The way to tell if they're inside out (this is what I was told by the optician when I first started using them a couple of years ago): you need to gently squeeze it inwards a little bit at the bottom with two fingers. If it's the correct way round, it will curve like a horse shoe (bad example, but the only one I can think of) and if it's inside out, it will just pinch inwards.

I hope you understand what I mean - I can't explain it very well!

Edit: Found a picture to illustrate it far better than my explanation:

http://www.andrewgasson.co.uk/images/gen_handle5.jpg

The left is how it should be, the right is inside out.

Archived