Are you a domestic goddess?

In honour of the domestic goddessness within, I have decided to dedicate my avatar to the domesticated of all domestic goddesses.

Many thanks to agent orange and anarchist. It worked a treat. I was a bit queezie but managed ok. You just forgot to mention the smell.:gag: Still a G&T helped no end.

Anyhow. I now have 4 breasts... steady on lads.

I now have 4 pigeon breasts... I'm not sure that sounds any better. :hihi: They are probably larger than my own anyhow.:(

I will try anarchist's recipe. How long should they take to cook?

Many thanks to agent orange and anarchist. It worked a treat. I was a bit queezie but managed ok. You just forgot to mention the smell.:gag: Still a G&T helped no end.

Anyhow. I now have 4 breasts... steady on lads.

I now have 4 pigeon breasts... I'm not sure that sounds any better. :hihi: They are probably larger than my own anyhow.:(

I will try anarchist's recipe. How long should they take to cook?

I found this. As the pigeons are fresh this might be a good way to cook them. Obviously you just halve everything.

Pan fried pigeon breasts with port jus, served with red onion, wild mushroom and plum relish.

Serves 4

Cooking time 10 mins

Great served with roast potatoes and seasonal greens

You need:

4 pigeons prepared for 2 breast fillets per person

2 cloves of garlic

Port (or full bodied hedgerow equivalent such as elderberry wine)

4 tbsp olive oil

1 large red onion

2 handfuls of fungi such as field or horse mushrooms

Juice of 1 orange (ok, so maybe a compromise here!)

A handful of plums pitted and coarsely chopped (other seasonal fruit could easily be substituted)

A sprinkling of brown sugar

For the relish:

1. Fry off the red onion in some of the olive oil until softened.

2. Add the chopped mushrooms and brown off.

3. Add the orange juice and plums and simmer until most of the juice has reduced.

4. Sprinkle in the brown sugar.

5. Add a dash of port and reduce again.

For the pigeon:

1. Make sure the oil in the frying pan is really hot

2. Crush the garlic and fry off for 30 seconds.

3. Add the pigeon breasts and brown off for 2 mins on each side.

4. Set the meat aside to keep warm

5. Add port to the pan to deglaze.

6. Slice the pigeon breast and serve with the warm relish.

Give me a PM if you need any help eating them.

I found this. As the pigeons are fresh this might be a good way to cook them. Obviously you just halve everything.

Pan fried pigeon breasts with port jus, served with red onion, wild mushroom and plum relish.

Serves 4

Cooking time 10 mins

Great served with roast potatoes and seasonal greens

You need:

4 pigeons prepared for 2 breast fillets per person

2 cloves of garlic

Port (or full bodied hedgerow equivalent such as elderberry wine)

4 tbsp olive oil

1 large red onion

2 handfuls of fungi such as field or horse mushrooms

Juice of 1 orange (ok, so maybe a compromise here!)

A handful of plums pitted and coarsely chopped (other seasonal fruit could easily be substituted)

A sprinkling of brown sugar

For the relish:

1. Fry off the red onion in some of the olive oil until softened.

2. Add the chopped mushrooms and brown off.

3. Add the orange juice and plums and simmer until most of the juice has reduced.

4. Sprinkle in the brown sugar.

5. Add a dash of port and reduce again.

For the pigeon:

1. Make sure the oil in the frying pan is really hot

2. Crush the garlic and fry off for 30 seconds.

3. Add the pigeon breasts and brown off for 2 mins on each side.

4. Set the meat aside to keep warm

5. Add port to the pan to deglaze.

6. Slice the pigeon breast and serve with the warm relish.

Give me a PM if you need any help eating them.

Thank you for that. I don't have any plums but I am sure that I can work something out..:thumbsup:

You will be fine. If you get stuck, there is google. You will find some great recipes dotted around on the net :)

Thanks AO. I think I am going to adapt the anarchist recipe. The 10 minute cooking time certainly appeals.

I have never tried anything like this before, and doing the autopsy on a couple of pigeons was certainly daunting. They appear to have died as a result of gun shot wounds.

I really hope this works. When I moved in with the OH, I am sure he was expecting a domestic goddess, or at the least a domestic nymph. Instead he got a total incompetent around the house. My cooking is improving and it seems to please him. I presume this is one of his little challenges.

I am anything but a domestic goddess. I couldn't cook an egg 3 weeks ago, but as I don't work for a living I am trying to make the effort to cook meals occassionally for my OH. I do keep the place reasonably clean and tidy.

At times I wonder why he puts up with me.

Aww don't say that. It's not about putting up with you.

I assume he's not one of those guys who expects his dinner on the table when he gets home from work, and all the housework done. :suspect:

Aww don't say that. It's not about putting up with you.

I assume he's not one of those guys who expects his dinner on the table when he gets home from work, and all the housework done. :suspect:

Not exactly. However as I don't work for a living there isn't much that I contribute to the household other than cooking and keeping the place reasonably clean. I don't think it hurts to make a little effort every now and then.

Actually the more I think about the situation the more that I think it is important to try to be that domestic goddess. As I make no other contribution to the household, and receive an allowance, not to try to do something in return would put me in the position of......well, let's not go there.

Incidentally the wood pigeon was fantastic.

• 1 year later...

Archived