Brightside station trainspotting

johnpm

Hi John, I remember Brightside station, and the Gasworks, it was the Early Sixties and we lived on shiregreen we used to cycle on woolley wood bottom ,past the Engineers pub and up the hill past the gas holders,then opposite the Roman ridge ind estate,we used to sit on the Banking,where the Barnsley line joined the main line.

Its where the Meadowhall station is now, from there you could also see the shunting engines inside Hadfields Steelworks, in those days you might remember there was a line on a viaduct that cut from the Barnsley line to the Rotherham line.

I do remember the Thames Clyde express, it used to pass that junction,it was one of the few that went on the Barnsley line, also I think there was another express called the Waverley,it also went via Barnsley on the wood bottom.

They seemed to pass in the early evening on there way up north.

Regards, Steve

Hello: My friends and I used to sit on the same spot at the JCT. opposite the signal box. Yes the main expresses Thames Clyde, The Devonian and The Waverley were the one's to look out for especially when the Patriots, Royal Scots the Brits. and even the Clan Classes were to be seen from around 1962 onwards. In those days there were four running lines and when Wincobank Station platforms were still there, the goods lines ran around the back of them. As you pointed out The Thames Clyde ran from the Barnsley line via Wincobank South Jct, do you remember the 412*** series engines that continually worked along this line for Barnsley Court House, we knicknamed these the Barnsley Bugs?

I missed all the fun. I stopped train spotting when I started work in February 1960. Spent many a Saturday at Dore and Totley junction. The only Patriot I saw there was Derbyshire Yeomanry which was shedded at Derby. No sign of Brits, Clans, Scots, other Pats in my day. Other Saturdays I'd go to Leeds, Manchester London Rd, Crewe and Doncaster. Happy days.

The only Patriot I saw there was Derbyshire Yeomanry which was shedded at Derby...
Yes - they were rare in Sheffield until shortly after 1960 when they were displaced by diesels on the main lines. From late 1960 several Scots were shedded at Millhouses until the shed closed in 1962, and one Patriot was also briefly there, No 45536 Private W. Wood V.C. Here is a photo of Derbyshire Yeomanry at Matlock Bath in 1957. Edited by hillsbro

• 4 years later...
Yes - they were rare in Sheffield until shortly after 1960 when they were displaced by diesels on the main lines. From late 1960 several Scots were shedded at Millhouses until the shed closed in 1962, and one Patriot was also briefly there, No 45536 Private W. Wood V.C. Here is a photo of Derbyshire Yeomanry at Matlock Bath. in 1957.

I always found the LNER ,lines and stations were best , I was never away from Donny in the summers, loved the streaks and the windies with names, all the trains started with 6, LMS trains started with a 4. Some bigger, workhorse trains started with a 9 but were of little interest to avid trainspotters. Sigh!, I want it all back Mummy.

... I was never away from Donny in the summers, loved the streaks...
Sunday 12 June 1960 - me an' me pal Trevor took the 10.10.am train from Victoria Station to Donny (pulled by a B1 - 61289 - here's the photo). Day return fare 1s.8½d. Copped 60010 Dominion of Canada on a London-Edinburgh express. First streak I ever saw..:)

..Sigh!, I want it all back...
Me too!

Sunday 12 June 1960 - me an' me pal Trevor took the 10.10.am train from Victoria Station to Donny (pulled by a B1 - 61289 - here's the photo). Day return fare 1s.8½d. Copped 60010 Dominion of Canada on a London-Edinburgh express. First streak I ever saw..:)

Me too!

Just eyeballed the picture and read the notes. Wasn't there a streak called Sir Nigel Gresley? Trying to remember the surname of the guy who published the trainspotting bible with all the engines listed and what we underlined after seeing the train, it was Ian ****, on tip of my tongue but can't come up with it, can you remember?

Just eyeballed the picture and read the notes. Wasn't there a streak called Sir Nigel Gresley? Trying to remember the surname of the guy who published the trainspotting bible with all the engines listed and what we underlined after seeing the train, it was Ian ****, on tip of my tongue but can't come up with it, can you remember?

Ian Allen?

... Wasn't there a streak called Sir Nigel Gresley?...
Yes, I copped it at York in 1962. It has been preserved - see here. Trainspotting wouldn't have got far without Ian Allan. Here is a web page on his firm's site with some details of Ian. As far as I know he is still going strong; if so he'll be 93 next month (but still never copped that rare saddle tank on the S & D..;))

Ian Allen?

Very close, see hillsboro, thanks anyway.

---------- Post added 05-05-2015 at 14:58 ----------

Yes, I copped it at York in 1962. It has been preserved - see here. Trainspotting wouldn't have got far without Ian Allan. Here is a web page on his firm's site with some details of Ian. As far as I know he is still going strong; if so he'll be 93 next month (but still never copped that rare saddle tank on the S & D..;))

Thanks for all that, made in Donny to boot eh? Ian Allan was the name I was seeking, thanks again. After a day of spotting, out would come Mr. Allan's little book and all my days scribbled numbers would be under lined in my "bible". Never, ever cheated..

Edited by TORONTONY

• 10 months later...