Richards Road Heeley - Any memories of it?

annbart

i used to go to the doctors on there with my mum. doctor patel was the gp. he would do home visits any time day or night. not like todays lazy money grabbers

Dr Patel was my dads Gp for many years, right up until he retired. He thought he was the best Gp ever.

The scruffy looking shop at the top of the road on the left hand side was known as "Dobbies", it was a second-hand shop. I never went in or knew of anyone who bought anything there but, it was reputed to be a "last resort" to sell something to him as he gave very little for it, my grandfather used to say that the owner was a "robbing dog".

There was a hairdressers' about half way up known as Rene Mead's then one of the staff bought it and it was owned by Janet Kitson in the 1960's.

My Grandma & Granddad lived at 79 in the 40's and early 50's this house had an add on kitchen and an outside toilet at the bottom of the yard and there neighbours were called Rainer. The bus used to stop right outside there house on it's way up to Graves Park and Hollythorpe Rise and traffic went up and down Richards Road.

I used to work for vinney potts coal merchant £23.50p a week and that was working saturday mornings think it was richards road he lived on

Yep he used to run the business from his house, just up from where the farm is now, I used to live nearby and there was always a large coal truck around.

My Grandma & Granddad lived at 79 in the 40's and early 50's this house had an add on kitchen and an outside toilet at the bottom of the yard and there neighbours were called Rainer. The bus used to stop right outside there house on it's way up to Graves Park and Hollythorpe Rise and traffic went up and down Richards Road.

Not sure of the year but the bus went up Richards Rd. and on the return went down Spencer Rd.

• 3 months later...

Archived