Richards Road Heeley - Any memories of it?

annbart

Manxbiker can you remember if 109 Richards Road was a shop or a house or can anyone here on the forum help with this as i am trying to trace missing members of family many thanks
You don't mention the period you are interested in but here are the names of people who lived at the address as given in local directories:

1901 & 1905 - William Cumberlidge, potato salesman

1925 - George Hill, Baker

1942 - Harris Woodland, engineer

1968 - Edith M. Woodland

1973 - Vincent Potts

hillsbro where would i be able to subscribe to that would let me find the information of people living at an address as i need to find family members.I dont like to keep asking and you have helped me on other occasions.thankyou

Directories can be referred to in the Local Studies Library on Surrey Street. The 1901 directory is available online here. The 1905 and 1925 directories can be puirchased on CDs (e.g. here) and I have the other three (expensive) books..:)

Hillsbro where would i be able to purchase the more expensive ones please and what are kellys directories that i keep hearing about.You have helped me before when searching for lost aunts and uncle missing from fullwood cottage homes.I wanted to purchase any books that may hold any previous address for these after they left the homes.I know census only go to 1911 but need from 1948 onwards.

Was Bowler Street on the right of Richards Road going up?

Bowler street was on the left going up Richards Road - just before Heeley Green

Hi bacardi - Kelly's directories were published up to 1974 and give the names of householders, street by street, as well as much other information. There is also an alphabetical "private residents" section - nobody has ever been able to explain to me exactly how Kelly's defined a "private resident", but only a minority of people are listed. After 1948 you need to either go to the Local Studies Library or hope to find secondhand copies of the directories. I paid £100 for my 1942 directory from Scarthin Books of Cromford; the 1968 edition cost about £80 via eBay. They are NOT easy to find, because they were usually dumped when a new edition came out. I rescued my 1973 edition from the bin at the bank where I worked at the time..:)

Archived