Tracing your family tree

Oh god... when I first started it I was rather obsessed, but the reason for that was I couldnt find any of my relatives on any of the census returns due to being given the incorrect information. I searched for a year with little or no success. Anyhow, by chance, I discovered an old post card from my great grandad to my great great grandmother and it gave me a new lead. It opened up so much researching and I spent another 6 months frantically discovering ancestors etc. Anyhow, I have got back as far as 1820 at the moment.

I had a life during the height of my researching, I would only spend about 3 hours per week doing it. Although, this voyage of discovery did lead me to have a holiday in Australia. I discovered a whole set of distant cousins living out there and we got in touch and I flew out there and met most of the family. It was great!!

Family History research can easily become an obsession.

Fortunately, with the aid of genealogy books and an enormous amount of luck, I have got as far back as the reign of Henry I (1100-1135) and as much information as I'm ever likely to get - so the obsession has passed.

Family History research can easily become an obsession.

Fortunately, with the aid of genealogy books and an enormous amount of luck, I have got as far back as the reign of Henry I (1100-1135) and as much information as I'm ever likely to get - so the obsession has passed.

i dont know how you have done that as sirnames where not introduced while in the 1400s as being law and at to be registered in the church and it was only the rich that had sirnames before that common folk didnt they were mostly name by the name they took and where they lived.well thats what i have read and that it is hard to determine who your ancestors where unless they had money.

i dont know how you have done that as sirnames where not introduced while in the 1400s as being law and at to be registered in the church and it was only the rich that had sirnames before that common folk didnt they were mostly name by the name they took and where they lived.well thats what i have read and that it is hard to determine who your ancestors where unless they had money.

Surnames were used much earlier than 1400s

I too have gone back to the 1100s

The key is land, if your ancestors were landowners, even in a small way, then they will be found in all sorts of legal documents, vast numbers of which have been preserved.

I might become a little stuck if I try and go back further than 1770 as the church in the village where I traced my ancestors back to was badly damaged during a fire and most of the records were lost. Not sure if there is any way around this, but it might be where my search ends :(

If the parish registers are lost there should still be the bishops transcripts, which is the same information but passed to the bishop instead of being kept in the church.

Oh goody. I take it I will need to contact the somewhere central within that area? The parish is in Oxfordshire so they will be kept in Oxford, right?

Archived