Tracing your family tree

Im back to early 1700. Mine seems to be fairly hard and easy at the same time as "sharpin" isnt exactly a name thats widespread, but when i do find one, im generally in the right place :) . Its from my Nans side so not my last name though. Ive found people all over the south, east and west of england and wales, but no one in the north. Ive even found people in austria and america (alot actually). Its good fun to search about, ive got about 9 generations so far. Im using a piece of software to keep track as it would take sooo much longer with pen and paper :)

I have gone back as far as the 1500,s with the paternal side of my family but can get no where with the maternal side I feel you need an unusual surname if its Smith or White you are really struggling,I was lucky in making contact with a lady in Canada who gave me an 80page File on my fathers family so you need a bit of luck as well

I started researching mostly to pass it on to my children. My parents were fairly old so didn't meet my grandparents and didn't have much to work from. Got back as far as 1640 on 1 side, 1640 on another and 1771 on another. I seem to be having a lot of difficulty researching on my father's side and am stuck on my great grandparents 1842. I started my own research a couple of years ago and yes it can become addictive but very rewarding. I have found out some interesting things especially through sharing information with others on Ancestry and Genes Reu. I was fascinated to find information about my husband's great grandfather from WW1 records. Information as to his height, colour of hair, chest/waist measurement, how he was wounded. I know we don't need all this information but it makes interesting reading. It is also interesting as a historical point of view to see how many years men had to work, some from ages 8 to late 70s and if they lived long enough 80s.

• 1 year later...

sorry to rake up an old thread, but I was going to start off my own, and this came up.

I have been doing my familly tree for about 2 months now. I have a friend doing most of the work, with me supplying information, as she has done her own, and has a lot of experience. She has access to all the websites which have to be paid for, so it has cost me nothing up to now, except for the purchase of 1 birth certificate.

I have got back to 1730 on one side of the family. I went to ask my aunty a few questions the other day, and found out loads of stuff. It is really fascinating and addictive. I haven't been to work today,so have spent almost the whole day on the computer, inputting information.

Yes, it is really addictive,and enjoyable.

Its also much more difficult if your family aren't local, or don't come from England. I've managed to find my father's paternal side back to the early 1700s - they lived in the same village in Scotland for several generations. His maternal side has links with southern Ireland, I've found a few bits through the church of Ireland. I'm now trying to establish where and when my GGf/GGm died.

I'm also researching my husband's family tree - paternally they go back via Scotland, Cumbria, East End London and I assume Lincolnshire, as thats where our surname is from. No links from London to Lincs yet though. And via his mother's family - Hertfordshire for generations, and Chelsea back again to Ireland.

I've not found any murderers, or titles - but I've found a bigamous marriage! The employment ranges from AgLab (agricultural labourer) which are in most family trees pre industrial revolution; bootmaker, employing several people; postman; furniture dealer; railway platelayer; photographic printer; surgeon; chemist and optician.

I've found it fascinating and frustrating!

Its also much more difficult if your family aren't local, or don't come from England. I've managed to find my father's paternal side back to the early 1700s - they lived in the same village in Scotland for several generations. His maternal side has links with southern Ireland, I've found a few bits through the church of Ireland. I'm now trying to establish where and when my GGf/GGm died.

I'm also researching my husband's family tree - paternally they go back via Scotland, Cumbria, East End London and I assume Lincolnshire, as thats where our surname is from. No links from London to Lincs yet though. And via his mother's family - Hertfordshire for generations, and Chelsea back again to Ireland.

I've not found any murderers, or titles - but I've found a bigamous marriage! The employment ranges from AgLab (agricultural labourer) which are in most family trees pre industrial revolution; bootmaker, employing several people; postman; furniture dealer; railway platelayer; photographic printer; surgeon; chemist and optician.

I've found it fascinating and frustrating!

Hi Ms McBeth, as I am from Scotland, I was wondering if you knew whereabouts I can request birth/death certificates from, I have tried looking on Scotland People, but cant find an address to write to, or an email address.

Hi Ms McBeth, as I am from Scotland, I was wondering if you knew whereabouts I can request birth/death certificates from, I have tried looking on Scotland People, but cant find an address to write to, or an email address.

When you look at an image on Scotland People for BMD there is a link which says order image after it, you could try that.

Info here about visiting, phoning etc: http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/bdm.html

You can also apply for birth/death certs from the local offices where your ancestor was born/died. Most local authorities have their own register office.

Archived